shell pants

allthumbs

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

truthfully trask, for all but the most harsh weather you do not need the overpriced/overphyed gore-tex (yes i do have some)....

i say go with a lighter fabbric. seems to me you would want the most for general hiking and what not. so the heavier fabric will just weigh more and cost more.

some options if i wear you to consider would be:

cloudveil (good small company, all their gear is made in USA) cloudveil

or look into the marmot precip pants. for the price of these things you could buy a pair or two and have them forever. plus thery are very mite wieght....this is what i use for the summer with a l.w. scholler pant. mine have some duct tape on them....i dont complain though...

i know that there are some other light weight pants to consider. and maybe even skippin ght full side zips for summer pants....less gear woeght equals another flask....

I wear cheesy Kelty pants. They costed me 75$ and work for ice climbing and everything else. If you look around you will certainly find something cool. Good luck and don't spend all your beer money [big Grin]

http://promountainsports.com had some killer Arcteryx pants for sale. Check them out.

Arc'Teryx Minuteman -200$

Bibs XCR 3-Layer Gore-Tex

Sizes: Women's S, M; Men's S, M, L, XL

Colors: Pewter, Black (XL Only)

Arc'Teryx Theta SK -225$

Bibs 3-Layer Gore-Tex

Sizes: Men's M, L

Colors: Cinder

Shit o'dear. thanks you guys

...you too Allison -- I think

I'll check out some lite ones. Now don't give me shit for doing Pilchuck sunday...but I did, and when I got done glissading down I was so pissed that my cheap sierra rainpants didn't have side zippers, I cut the fuckers off with a knife. Hence my new quest.

[ 06-11-2002, 08:35 AM: Message edited by: trask ]

quote:

Originally posted by trask:

... I was so pissed that my cheap sierra rainpants didn't have side zippers, I cut the fuckers off with a knife. Hence my new quest.

way to keep your head in a stressful situation, didn't you notice the lack of zippers when you put them on? [Razz]

Seriously, if you get some schoeler pants, you can avoid the entire taking off and puting on matter, except first thing in the morning of course. Schoelers breath well enough to climb in and are water proof enough for glissading, and tough enough for bushwacking.

I have the BD version which are cut a little more generous through the thighs so I dont look like I have sausages for legs and they have the gripper cuff at the bottom so you can get away with no gaiters in all but the worst postholing.

carry on.

Thanks everybody. I went with some light Mtn. Hrdw. Grade 6 (10oz) for $85. Pretty much the same deal as everybody elses. I tried on Black Diamond's shoeller pants--fucking nice!--but--$200, and I'm not a climber--couldn't justify it. Drink lots of beer at pube club tonight and pinch Allison in the ass for me [Wink][big Drink]

quote:

Originally posted by mtngrrrl:

Just curious, but do most of you glissade on your butts? I've only done it on my feet, kinda like skating down the snow field.

Ony when I ve run out of toilet paper, or, more seriously, when the snow is soft enough that you posthole when standing, but supportive enough that you get a good slide going when you sit down. Thats the ideal conditions for the bum slide. Dont forget a frisbee or garbage bag to sit on to save your pants.

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

quote:

Originally posted by mtngrrrl:

Just curious, but do most of you glissade on your butts? I've only done it on my feet, kinda like skating down the snow field.

Ony when I ve run out of toilet paper,

Good thinking Dru , then you can Hansel and Gretel your way back in a whiteout by following the "crumbs" and you can save the weight of some wands, ghetto GPS style. [Roll Eyes] Twight would approve!

It is called the "otter slide" by some... Nice for getting down after an ice climb by headlight, when you wouldn't want to be standing... Less work, can be darn fun and easier to arrest.

Schoeller pants, nice, breathable, but don't glissade well, they have too grippy a texture.