Rolling Stone.....100 greatest guitarist

kevbone

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some marginal players beat out Zappa, John McLaughlin and Dickey Betts. Eddie Van Halen places near the bottom of the list? Then you have folks that don't even belong: Joni Mitchell, Lou Reed and some nobody from Black Flag. I guess you qualify if you know three chords. Conspicuously absent is Johnny Thunders.

A small number of the musicians listed can play something other than pop music.

BB King is a great guitarist, but he's not a ROCK guitarist.

I agree, but the list is the greatest guitarist….not greatest rock guitarist. I love BB and his music. He should be in the 90’s…..not top 10. This list is fucked from the beginning……I would love to sit with the person or persons who made this list and slap them silly. How can you put a bunch of no namers and folks who wrote 3 cord songs be in front of EVH? Eddied (like it or not) took us (the listeners) in a new direction in 78. He is one of the most influential guitarist of our time. He should be in the top 10……Malsteen is not on the list, neither is Paco De Luca. Who has played for 30 years beside John McLaughlin.

My list top 10: (not necessarily in this order)

Jimmy Hendrix

Eric Clapton

Jimmy Page

Eddie Van Halen

Randy Roads

Chuck Berry

Joe Satriani

Joe Pass

John McLaughlin

Ingwie Malmsteen

This, of course is open for interpretation…..just like this 100 best from Rolling Stone.

[nasty/wet/fart/sound]

BB King is a great guitarist, but he's not a ROCK guitarist.

I agree, but the list is the greatest guitarist….not greatest rock guitarist. I love BB and his music. He should be in the 90’s…..not top 10. This list is fucked from the beginning……I would love to sit with the person or persons who made this list and slap them silly. How can you put a bunch of no namers and folks who wrote 3 cord songs be in front of EVH? Eddied (like it or not) took us (the listeners) in a new direction in 78. He is one of the most influential guitarist of our time. He should be in the top 10……Malsteen is not on the list, neither is Paco De Luca. Who has played for 30 years beside John McLaughlin.

My list top 10: (not necessarily in this order)

Jimmy Hendrix

Eric Clapton

Jimmy Page

Eddie Van Halen

Randy Roads

Chuck Berry

Joe Satriani

Joe Pass

John McLaughlin

Ingwie Malmsteen

This, of course is open for interpretation…..just like this 100 best from Rolling Stone.

[/nasty/wet/fart/sound]

Some fucking tool with a brain stem and little else sitting on top of it listed the top 10 best EVAH!

Jimmy Hendrix

Eric Clapton

Jimmy Page

Eddie Van Halen

Randy Roads

Chuck Berry

Joe Satriani

Joe Pass

John McLaughlin

Ingwie Malmsteen

Looks like a list I would have published when I was 13, only I would have swapped Clapton and Eddie. Get over it.

Edited by E-rock

Some fucking tooling with a brain stem and little sitting on top of it listed the top 10 best EVAH!

Jimmy Hendrix

Eric Clapton

Jimmy Page

Eddie Van Halen

Randy Roads

Chuck Berry

Joe Satriani

Joe Pass

John McLaughlin

Ingwie Malmsteen

Looks like a list I would hav published when I was 13, only I would have swapped Clapton and Eddie. Get over it.

give me your're top ten!

Edited by kevbone

Reminds me of the Larry Holmes-Tex Cobb fight. He keeps gettin' the shit beat out of him day after day, and yet he keeps comin' back for more. Ya' gotta admire his tenacity. He'll be brain dead soon.

No shit....G-spotter just keep coming back for more....even though he gets his ass kicked ever day here.

The list qualifies as one opinion on the 100 greatest ROCK guitarists, but there are numerous obvious absences from the jazz and classical worlds. Does anyone have the original issue (published nearly 4 years ago - how come this is just surfacing here now?) - I'd be interested in learning what the criteria were. It looks like "greatest" = some combination of "influential" + "technical" + "popular" in pop/rock/blues.

displays the 5 greatest classical guitarists as: Segovia, John Williams, Jorge Morel, Julian Bream, and Sharon Isbin. Possibly...

There's a much more extensive list at:

http://www.guitarsite.com/bands4.htm#TOP

And here's what looks to me to be a much better thought-through list of the top 200 rock guitarists. At least the criteria are made clear.

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_newguitar.html

Have fun arguing!

Cheers,