Mts. Baker and Shuksan in 24 hours?

scottgg

Has anyone tried this link-up, or have any suggestions on how they would go about it? I think the biggest problem would be timeing it so you where on the steep parts while it was cool out.

I was thinking the North Ridge of Baker, and the North Face of Shuksan.

Thanks!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you going to do this w/o getting into a car and driving from one to the other? I have thought that this would be sick, but a huge undertaking. As far as I know nobody has done it yet. I think that the way to go would be to ski the Park to swift creek and climb F chimeny's then descend the W salmon. Good luck, I will be very jealous b/c I have wanted to do this for years. The biggest problem would be to maintain while linking the 20+ miles b/t the two w/o driving. But if you drive to the two of them it wont be that bad.

North Ridge -> Ski Park -> Ski Traverse to Artist's Point -> NF Shuksan?

That's very close to doable in 24. Two very fun routes and I know the way... better get on that. :eveeel:

Edit: The proper finish is obviously to ski NF Shuksan. Then hibernate in the avalanche debris until the powpow returns.

Edited by skykilo

All REAL enchainment superstars use helicopters, teleferiques or parapentes. The parapente is obviously the key here. Climb NR Baker, launch off Baker, fly to Shuksan. If you do it right you can land on the upper Sulphide, climb 300 feet to the summit and still claim the double tick :grlaf:

Maybe I can make a pre-trip press release, hype the shit out of it, and talk Mt Baker Ski Area into opening the C-3 chair for one ride to claim the lift-assist like a true enchainment badass, then.

Thanks for your enlightened e-guidance, Dru.

Every winter I tell myself that this will be the winter my ski skillz improve, but it hasn't happened yet:(

I was actually thinking of driving between the two. Anyone have helpful split times for these two routes for a moderatly fast party?

C2C on the NR Baker would be like 14 or 15 hours unless you had the glacier dialed, IMHO. C2C on the CD is about 11 on foot.

I think you could go a bit faster. A few years ago, tyree and I climbed the NR car to car for our first time, we clocked in at just under 12 hours (with a number of safety meetings). this was in late july and the roosevelt was a mess, early season you can bypass most of the roosevelt which would speed things up considerably. first time i climbed baker we did CD car to car in 9.

I like the CD to Park Glacier, to Fisher chimneys to white salmon.

PROS: longest ski descent via park, with good skate skiing to lake ann, easy leg to begin with.

CONS: more technical climbing later in to the 24 hours.

Do you guys really think some hardpeople of the 70's and 80's or 90's haven't already done this?

I'm much more interested in the Nooksack Tower and Mt. Shuksan link-up in 24. Seems manageable time wise, but the logistics and the choss of the tower and ragged ridge seem like the crux. what about nooksack tower, shuksan, and baker in a HWY 542 48hour alpine extravaganza.

Edited by frosty_the_tradman

I'm much more interested in the Nooksack Tower and Mt. Shuksan link-up in 24.

That be a lot of shit-talking Sol, better get on it Beotch! I can't wait to see the TR.

Yeah, I geuss i always imagined it with a bivy below the tower and then a bivy on the summit of shuksan. Most importantly the 2 summits in 24-hrs. With this approach, it seems reasonable: robertm and a partner did the tower and the ridge a few years ago in a day, but i think they opted out of the shuksan summit, or not, i can't remember. Isn't it shit-talking summer-hype build-up season?

I think the cool way to do this would be as a long day traverse on skis:

* Coleman glacier to summit Baker

* Park glacier descent to ski area

* White Salmon or Fisher Chimney ascent to summit Shuksan

* Sulphide glacier descent to Shannon creek

The trick would be snow conditions. Afternoon conditions might be spooky on Mt Shuksan. Doing it as a lightweight overnight, with a bivi between the two peaks, would be better for catching ideal snow conditions.