cobra or rage

carolyn

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have proform too carolyn and I got the rages. I liked them for the reasons mentioned above ie. smaller grip, cheaper. I am a beginner at vertical stuff but I couldn't tell a ton of difference between the two and I felt the non-carbon fiber would be a little more durable and tough for someone like me who'll be bashing the crap out of them. I'm headed to Utah soon to swing em. Yippeeeeee tongue.gif" border="0tongue.gif" border="0tongue.gif" border="0tongue.gif" border="0

yeah pretty catchy. rolleyes.gif" border="0

BTW Between the cobras and the rages...I'd go for the rages, cobras are overkill for general use. I know you get proform so your probally not to interested but the rambo II's rock, and you can pick up a pair for 220 (~110 each)! at sportsextreme.

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: epb ]

Without a doubt Cobras. I tend to use em all year in all conditions. The design of the grip (although big it's what I'm used to grin.gif" border="0 ) makes it both a bent and clearance shaft. Most other clearance shaft tools do not have the bent shaft adventage and rely on the little thumb thingy.

Cost? yeah there spendy. But how expensive is regret? [big Drink]

Thanks for the replies...

Quarks are really meant more for wf ice...my luck I would break the the pick my first time out even on wf ice. rolleyes.gif" border="0 I really want something for more all around use (mixed, alpine, dry, etc).

We just got the cobras back in the store and as it turns out I cant get a complete grip on them. So , it looks like I will be leaning toward the rage's. I think it will be a good choice for my first set of tools. smile.gif" border="0 (although I havent purchased them yet, so dont hesitate to keep giving me feedback wink.gif" border="0 )

-c

Both choices are good. I had the Cobra, sold it then got the Rage and now happier then ever. Better grip, durable, plunge with the same ease in snow like the Cobra and easier to choke and mantel on. Therefore, what is boil down to is personal preference. The Cobra fatigue the hell out of my hands felt awkward on long climbs and I like the balance of the Rage for dry tooling.I also own the older Rambo with silver shaft; one thing that I can say about these tools is that these are phenomenal tools.Moreover, about the regret mention earlier. I regret buying the Cobra purely out of rumors, social pressure and hype. The tools are decent but, not worth its price. when there is such an extensive high quality selection of Ice tools out there rolleyes.gif" border="0

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: Neri ]

Carolyn,

Before sounds like you have a pretty small grip. You might want to check out the Simond Naja and Piranha. Several shaft configurations (bent, clearance, straight). Not that BD doesn't make good gear, I myself own 2 BP's and 2 X-15's and love them but I have big hands and BD historically has had "bigger than your average bear" size grips. The Rage is really the first tool they have made that fits smaller hands well.

http://www.simond.com/pagesa/piolcascA.html

my $0.02,

wes

I have both and used them side by side the whole last week.

Cobras are way better for a beginner. One can get a better stick right away and your hand is more protected from getting wet before you master the technique. Same, or even more so, for bashing the knuckles.

I think Rages have a small advantage on lower angle terrain when I wanted to go fast and was gripping the tool anywhere along the shaft. Obviously the aluminum makes them more fit for high abuse cituations.

In all cases make sure the leashes are long enough with the gloves on - pinky touches the spike.