climbing areas and pot growers

A couple of days ago I was checking out a known rock wall in Oregon to scope some climbing. This things huge but only has 3 routes, so there is'nt a real trail or anything leading to it. You follow above one side of a drainage for about a mile of uphill manzanita choked forest slogging. About a half mile into the hike I thought I heard a voice or something and look up to see a guy running through the woods with camo gear on and a knife in his hand. Immediatly I thought oh shit hunters and yelled towards the guy who ran and hid "were people, not deer" but still kinda thinking that it was weird the guy just ran off. I take a couple more steps up hill and thats when I saw the 60 or so foot tall weed plants, yelled to my girlfriend to come to me and then into the woods I yelled "hey were cool we mean no harm". At this point I still wasnt sure if they where crazy rednecks with guns or stupid hippies. I stood there and looked at the plants for a little bit, they were encased with wire, there was also a back pack sprayer painted green laying there. Now I'm just thinking shit well we hiked all the way up here we might as well go scope the rock. After a quick trip up to the rock we made are way down to the truck skirting around where we had found the plants to try to avoid any problems. Kinda an odd vibe the rest of the hike thinking someone may be watching. Anyways we got back down to my truck on the side of the road, and as I was loading some stuff into the back a car with some guys slowly drove by giving me a very odd look. I gave them the watch out signal as they crept by. Soon we where onthe road and headed out as we caught up with the same car, sure enough they pulled over as they thought they where being followed then got right out behind me. After seeing the guys in the car I kinda figured they where stupid hippie that we freaked out way more than either of us.

Anyone else have a crazy story like this of growers or something like that getting in the way of a climb or something. Was a trip for me :toad:

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My parents own some land down in Barancas de Cobre in Mexico. I went up to gocheck the water source and look for some cliffs up a side canyon. On my way up I passed several good size fields. I guess if I was in unknown territory I would have been worried, that they might think I was some sort of agent, but since I knew the old man who owned I figured I was pretty safe. Luckily for him though they were just babies otherwise I may have started grazing.