Gloves...whadya like?

willstrickland

So after checking out tons of gloves (and picking up something very similar to the vinylove that I can trash) I went with the Lowe Gannt glove. Closed cell knuckle padding, reinforced pittard's leather palms and fingers with leather going past the end of the finger, wpb shell, removable fleece liners and additional insulation/lining in the shell itself, good gauntlets, idiot cords, retail $90, got 'em for $60.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gloves and boots. I can never be satisfied. I have wasted too much money on both. I have to have a glove with short fingers (ie..OR) or I am left with no dexderity what so ever. I like the NF windstopper liner best w/ the OR shell. I wish the fingers on the BD Ice Gloves were shorter. I don't hit my knuckles much but when I do, it sucks. The padding would be nice as an insulation from the ice also. I just take a few liners and swap them out between climbs to keep the hands dryer.I just took my liners down to the local seamstress. She is sewing a patch of neopreme over the 1st 2 knuckles of the little, ring and middle fingers. Should help take the edge off the impact and cold. I'll let you guys know how it works.I would like to try a more breathable shell. Glove probably wetter from the inside than we think unless you are climbing something that is dripping wet.

I agree with David on having a few different gloves to choose from for different conditions. But finding a good/proper fitting glove is not easy for some of us. Not everyone has a 3 to 4 inch long thumb which most manufacturers think is true. I am just talking off the top of my head Jedi

• 11 months later...

for temps between 10 and 35 farenheit, I like Atlas's freezer glovers --it's the Vinylove, baby--

ats495d.jpg

Altas has a new glove this year with a removeable liner for $16.00 and they aren't that ugly burnt orange that don't match any of my gear. I might try them out. You can find them here: https://ssl2.adhost.com/seamar/merchant.cfm?pid=49301&step=4

Mec Mixed Master glove, $70ish CDN, last 2 seasons of ice plus one season of alpine, keeps your hands warm and dry.

Shittiest gloves I ever owned are the same Mixed Masters Dru Likes... crazy.gif

Mine lasted less than one season of Skiing with about 5 days of pure ice thrown in their. Seams blew out, liners blew up, etc. Friend of mine hasd the exacty same experience.

My current faves are: Patagucci Stretch Triolet, with $7 wool liners in them. WOOL ROCKS for gloves, and more. They are the only thing I've paid full retail for in ages, and I still love them. cool.gifcool.gifcool.gif

Remember WOOL ROCKS!

Wool trigger mitts w/cheap G-Tex mitt shells are good too. Try craft stores in Newfoundland, or get an aunt or someone to make some.

All in all, noone makes a good glove. mad.gif My dream glove would probably end up costing about $300, and then they wouldn't make it in XXL anyway. madgo_ron.gif

Like DanE, I swear by MontBell gloves.

I replaced them recently with a pair of Patagonia Stretch Triolet gloves. These fit well, are fine down to about -15 to -20C, and have great dexterity. Plus they are only 100$, making them some of the least expensive technical gloves out there. Take a spare pair of cheap-os for the rappels, these Patagonia gloves only have a thin leather palm that could easily wear out with alot of rapp'ing.

I also have a pair of Marmot Ultimate Ski Gloves like Capt Caveman, and really like them too. They are well made and the palms are durable, so do worries about rappelling ruining them quickly.