Procyon Lotor Problem

Weekend_Climberz

So, I have a cat door in my basemest so my critters can get in and out of the house and poop and pee in other people's yard :tup:

Problem is, now the 'coons have become one of the critters that is coming in through the door. They walk through the basement, up the stairs and through the kitchen, to where we have the cat food setup. Unfortunately for me, discharging a firearm in Seattle city limits is illegal, so that's off the table. I keep all the trash cans closed up at night and have had several run-ins with the suckers and my enraged look no longer fools them. The little lady doesn't want someone to come capture an euthanize them, but I see no other options. Any suggestions out there??

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a live trap you are welcome to try. You may get lucky and catch a coon. If you don't like drowning them, the recommended procedure, you can take them for a long ride in the car and make them someone else's problem.

I suggest that you bar the door at night. The coons will only enter when they know you are asleep in bed.

We don't have problems with coons entering the cat door because we have a dog.

Here's another idea. Put the cat food where the cat can jump but the coons can't. I don't think coons can jump as high as a cat.

Edited by catbirdseat

You are more likely to catch a cat than a coon with a live trap. Disposal method is the same.

You can get a fancy pet door with an RFID tag for your pet's collars. The door will only open when the RFID is nearby. If a racoon eats one of your cats, this may still be an issue. The doors cost about $100 if I remember correctly.

Buy a paintball gun. When the raccoon comes through the door, have a little target practice. Problem will be over, I doubt you see that one again.

If it doesn't, freeze the paintballs or use marbles. Personally, a .22 cal in the basement probably isn't a bad solution. No one outside will hear it if you use .22 cal shorts. Is discharge f a firearm within your own home illegal?

Buy a paintball gun. When the raccoon comes through the door, have a little target practice. Problem will be over, I doubt you see that one again.

If it doesn't, freeze the paintballs or use marbles. Personally, a .22 cal in the basement probably isn't a bad solution. No one outside will hear it if you use .22 cal shorts. Is discharge f a firearm within your own home illegal?

wow DUDE i was just thinking about you today and wondering where you have been :wave:

Just tell the racoons that you are disappointed with their behaviour and that they are not bad racoons, just racoons that decide to do bad things, and that they can decide to do good things too. You can't force them do make good decisions, just guide them and know that you have done your best. After all they have to make their own way in life eventually. Hopefully they will go on to live happy lives and be of benefit to society.

If it doesn't, freeze the paintballs or use marbles. Personally, a .22 cal in the basement probably isn't a bad solution. No one outside will hear it if you use .22 cal shorts. Is discharge of a firearm within your own home illegal?

wow DUDE i was just thinking about you today and wondering where you have been :wave:

Muff

Just sitting around getting fat and old. I've been lurking but haven't been doing any serious climbing cause ofa arm injury and wayyyyy toooo much travel.