and never till that day comes,

will i know, just what i've done.

but this day shall not be my last,

for i live to climb hard and fast.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a big fan of soloists. I had a couple of noobss on Spiderman a few weeks back. Random solo dude was right on our asses. Unfortunately for him, I didn't know he was there until after I hucked a rappel line down. He was pretty pissed off when he reached the top. I apologized and explained that there were probably better places for him to solo than an easy route that would be crawling with Noobs on a weekend.

If I should fall before I sumit,

please lord, may it be one long plumit.

and tell my family and friends,

with a smile on my face i met my end.

but untill that day comes,

I will not know just what i've done.

I have this urge, I'm unsure why,

but when I climb, my souls drawn twards the sky.

though my life shall one day pass,

while i live I'll climb hard and fast.

or this way.

Whirlwind and Fender: aren't you guys being a little harsh? The fact that Feder didn't even know the guy was there suggests to me, at least, that the guy was not overly pushy about it. Maybe he said something rude to Fender's partners, I guess, but you have no business on a popular route like Spiderman if you are not willing to share it with other climbers who may be "right up your asses" just as you have no business soloing it said route you aren't ready to have somebody throw a rope at you. Maybe he should have asked Fender's partners to let him know he was there or something...

Hey wirl, how about this one:

If I tangle, on rappel,

my hair in a device

a loaded pack

pulling me back

calling for a knife.

I pray my partner,

laughing at the top

has one in his pack.

Otherwise, a tear I think

that will never grow back.

:lmao:

Whirlwind and Fender: aren't you guys being a little harsh? The fact that Feder didn't even know the guy was there suggests to me, at least, that the guy was not overly pushy about it. Maybe he said something rude to Fender's partners, I guess, but you have no business on a popular route like Spiderman if you are not willing to share it with other climbers who may be "right up your asses" just as you have no business soloing it said route you aren't ready to have somebody throw a rope at you. Maybe he should have asked Fender's partners to let him know he was there or something...

It's not harsh, it's realistic. By definition, new climbers are out of their element. I can't imagine why anyone badass enough to solo Spider Man (:rolleyes:) would risk thier life getting too close to a party of people who don't have thier shit together.

um i still disagree on a 2 pitch route especaly as short as spiderman there is no reason a person couldn't wait till the first party is done

Because by then there would be two more parties on said route. I don't think I've ever been there, on a weekend at least, when parties waited for a party in front of them to complete the route before starting out.

I've soloed, and been passed by soloists on plenty of beginner routes, and in my opinion the soloist has as much right to be there as the party of beginners. People get mad sometimes when somebody passes them or throws a rope in their direction, or clips to their anchor or whatever else type of interaction we have on a popular climb. That's life.

true but why is every one in such a hurry that they cant wait a few minutes. and if they chose not to, how can they get pissed if they get hit with shit (ie rope) especally if the party above dosn't see em. also it takes longer cause often times with 2 groups, and in fendor's case 3 people in one group, creates a huge cluster fuck at the anchors.

now dont get me wrong the first party doesn't have the right to monoplize the climb but at the same time they shouldn't be rushed or crowded off what they're doing.

I agree that the guy had no god-given right to get pissed, but maybe he got a little scared. Anger is not an uncommon reaction. Did Fender "deserve" a tongue lashing? Maybe not, but maybe yes.

As to "why is everyone in such a hurry" - the answer is because we all want to climb Cinnamon Slab, Spiderman and the Pioneer Route before it gets dark. This is part of training for light and fast. I agree that it is sometimes unfortunate, but on any popular climb at any popular climbing area you are not going to be given the luxury to take your time and smell the roses on a busy weekend.

And as to cluster-fuck's at the anchors, I've shared hanging belays with three parties before without any problem, and I've seen other parties on a popular route get all freaked out if I came anywhere near them (Outer Space comes to mind and that is a route with plenty of room and multiple anchor options at every belay). The degree to which there is a problem depends as much on who is involved and how they handle it as it does on whether or not the second party should be there.

I've been on a climb that I was doing solo. I came up behind a man and woman ahead of me on the climb. I got to a point right behind the woman. I would have waited lower down, but the only decent rest spot was right behind her. I then waited for her to finish the climb before I climbed up. They went off on me. All I have to say is I didn't force them to climb faster, and I felt comfortable with the situation. I figured I was in the biggest danger for an accident, but they felt like I was making the situation unsafe.

I think part of the problem stems from them being totally unused to solo climbing.