Climbing related spray...

i_like_sun

Please bare with me on this ramble...

So, i've pretty much decided that when it comes to the mountains, sunshine, and birds, i fall into the category of "borderline lunatic". I have been known to melt into a pot of boiling happiness simply because of how beautiful the mountains can be.

If I find that if life is lacking in exercise, and the occasional strong dose of mountain suffering, things just aren't right! My climbing habit, along with my near obsession with coffee and chocolate, has lead me to the conclusion that it takes a certain personality type to live this way. More precisely, I'm positive that many climbers (or high-end athletes in general) have addictive personalities. I suppose alpinism could possibly be as addictive as a hard-drug habit, but at least climbing can be used to make us healthier and live longer and richer!

I apologize to anyone offended by my comparisons of climbing and hard drugs. This is stemming from some serious self contemplation and personality reorganizing this year (read the fitness and overtraining forum). I must point out however, that a natural exercise induced euphoria is chemically identical to the euphoria administered through drug needles! On the surface this is rather a downer, but if you think about it, nature has given us this fantastic gift of the sympathetic nervous system that is supposed to allow us the potential for pure and utter bliss. When that is in balance with the parasympathetic nervous system, man, life takes on a whole new level of contentment. Just talk to any major triathlete or runner etc..., they "need" their training in order to feel happy and content. Mountain climbers are no different. As an exercise science and physiology major, I don't think life should be without these healthy addictions. Its simply a matter of striving for balance.

Peace:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, i've pretty much decided that when it comes to the mountains, sunshine, and birds, i fall into the category of "borderline lunatic". I have been known to melt into a pot of boiling happiness simply because of how beautiful the mountains can be.

If I find that if life is lacking in exercise, and the occasional strong dose of mountain suffering, things just aren't right! My climbing habit, along with my near obsession with coffee and chocolate, has lead me to the conclusion that it takes a certain personality type to live this way. More precisely, I'm positive that many climbers (or high-end athletes in general) have addictive personalities. I suppose alpinism could possibly be as addictive as a hard-drug habit, but at least climbing can be used to make us healthier and live longer and richer!

I apologize to anyone offended by my comparisons of climbing and hard drugs. This is stemming from some serious self contemplation and personality reorganizing this year (read the fitness and overtraining forum). I must point out however, that a natural exercise induced euphoria is chemically identical to the euphoria administered through drug needles! On the surface this is rather a downer, but if you think about it, nature has given us this fantastic gift of the sympathetic nervous system that is supposed to allow us the potential for pure and utter bliss. When that is in balance with the parasympathetic nervous system, man, life takes on a whole new level of contentment. Just talk to any major triathlete or runner etc..., they "need" their training in order to feel happy and content. Mountain climbers are no different. As an exercise science and physiology major, I don't think life should be without these healthy addictions. Its simply a matter of striving for balance.

Peace:

DRU:

What was that thread about risk taking, drug use, and mountaineering that focused on an article written about the similiarities in these things and how the same type of person was attracted to them? I don't remember the name of that thread--but it talked about this very topic and was super interesting.

Help!

Peace:

DRU:

What was that thread about risk taking, drug use, and mountaineering that focused on an article written about the similiarities in these things and how the same type of person was attracted to them? I don't remember the name of that thread--but it talked about this very topic and was super interesting.

Help!

Come on memory master

The addictive nature of climbing is something that I often ponder. I don't have enough time today to even try writing some masterful exposition, but spew I will do.

Regardless of whether it takes a certain type of person to be snared by the addiction, I think climbing has qualities that can make it addictive.

It is a genuinely difficult proposition, that can continue to challenge, no matter what level of skill you hold. Finish one project, there's always one more. It also has the requirement that one needs to practice regularly to perform well. Thus it is almost necessary to climb regularly once you have the bug if you have any "projects" at all. Unlike other team sports, there are challenges that can linger and are not dependent on finding another team of desired caliber.

Another aspect to its draw is its ability to remove you from your regular existence. Get concentrating on a hard crag climb, or figuring out some route through the brush past some cliffs and you've removed your everyday problems. Add to it the fact that you're usually physically removed from people/distractions by being out of contact in the wilderness, it makes it easy to forget troubles. Like any other good addictive draw, it has the sought-after ability to forget yourself and concentrate on the fun, like reading, drugs, sex, other? Once you've achieved that blissful state of transcending your mundane existence, it's hard not to want to go there again.

The addictive nature of climbing is something that I often ponder. I don't have enough time today to even try writing some masterful exposition, but spew I will do.

Regardless of whether it takes a certain type of person to be snared by the addiction, I think climbing has qualities that can make it addictive.

It is a genuinely difficult proposition, that can continue to challenge, no matter what level of skill you hold. Finish one project, there's always one more. It also has the requirement that one needs to practice regularly to perform well. Thus it is almost necessary to climb regularly once you have the bug if you have any "projects" at all. Unlike other team sports, there are challenges that can linger and are not dependent on finding another team of desired caliber.

Another aspect to its draw is its ability to remove you from your regular existence. Get concentrating on a hard crag climb, or figuring out some route through the brush past some cliffs and you've removed your everyday problems. Add to it the fact that you're usually physically removed from people/distractions by being out of contact in the wilderness, it makes it easy to forget troubles. Like any other good addictive draw, it has the sought-after ability to forget yourself and concentrate on the fun, like reading, drugs, sex, other? Once you've achieved that blissful state of transcending your mundane existence, it's hard not to want to go there again.

I think your points are right on the money. :tup:

Perhaps they go toward explaining why climbing--as opposed to other sports like, say, curling or playing softball--is more likely to become a lifestyle for those who do it?

For instance, I've never heard of a basketball player becoming a dirtbag. If he/she lived in a van in order to be free to shoot hoops anywhere, anytime, it's hard to imagine that other players would consider that a step up in life.

At a busy crag in Red Rocks recently, when everyone was asking where folks were from, my partner answered that he was "from nowhere," living out of his car and climbing wherever he could. I swear, the whole crag let out this simultaneous, envious sigh when he said that.

In their eyes, he was neither "homeless" nor "unemployed"-- he was "living the dream." And yes, I was jealous of him, too.

Edited by Sherri