CC.com Photo Contest 2007 Voting - VOTE HERE!

olyclimber

Voting Catagory: Cragging  

249 members have voted

1. 1. Voting Catagory: Cragging

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the judges skipped or lost some photographs.

For example, by 111,

Bouldering.JPG

has some minor technical issues that can be fixed (slight tilt, black on left margin) but is far superior to any of the bouldering photos selected when it comes to composition.

For that matter, the two-week entry period is too damn short... some of the UW crew was off elsewhere on break and could not submit.

See

http://www.astro.washington.edu/roskar/NZ/NZ.html

for some sweet NZ shots, including bouldering

Edited by Gary_Yngve

The images should be a standard size.

Big pics have an advantage.

Yes, I brought this up last year, but I got flamed with, "Run it next year yourself if you want it your way."

if you have ImageMagick and Linux, it's really f'n easy to do:

for i in *jpg; do convert -resize @400000 -quality 75 $i z$i; done

well, seriously, (especially you Gary) if you would like to see this done better next year then we'll post for volunteers to help us run it next year (only rule will be that you can't have submissions if you help run it, obviously).

In the meantime, the contest voting is underway and we aren't turning back. These are the pictures our panel of judges chose. So vote and if you want to start another thread about how to better do the contest next year then do so...otherwise just vote and leave this thread be.

has some minor technical issues that can be fixed (slight tilt, black on left margin) but is far superior to any of the bouldering photos selected when it comes to composition.

Shit Gary, not everything can be determined by some mathematical formula. Enjoyment of pictures and art and shit indeed has some sort of a non-formulaic subjective component to it.

Shit Gary, not everything can be determined by some mathematical formula. Enjoyment of pictures and art and shit indeed has some sort of a non-formulaic subjective component to it.

Yeah I am not sure if there could be a mathematical formula for my shit. Sometime it's soft other times hard, sometime small and sometime hugh, stinky and not stinky, the smells can really vary and same with the color and texture, I am not sure how someone would start to explain that mathematically. Usually I don't try to explain it, I just enjoy the relief.

I did submit photos and agree with Gary. My biggest complaint is how most of us followed the rules and our photos are all the same width but in the entries and also in the finals there are photos that are much larger. I say disqualify any entry that isn't uploaded into the gallery and referenced in the initial contest. Disqualify any photo that was entered without following the entry rules. The ones in the gallery are 600px wide but then the biggest being 1300px wide in the finals. So maybe I should have entered them all from my own website and made them 1500px wide and maybe I would have a greater chance of winning. Am I wrong?

I did submit photos and agree with Gary. My biggest complaint is how most of us followed the rules and our photos are all the same width but in the entries and also in the finals there are photos that are much larger. I say disqualify any entry that isn't uploaded into the gallery and referenced in the initial contest. Disqualify any photo that was entered without following the entry rules. The ones in the gallery are 600px wide but then the biggest being 1300px wide in the finals. So maybe I should have entered them all from my own website and made them 1500px wide and maybe I would have a greater chance of winning. Am I wrong?

Perhaps you can point out to me where in these rules:

Rules and Instructions:

-Post your photos w/ caption in the photo gallery and then embed them into your reply in THIS THREAD.

-Photos winners from previous years contests CANNOT be submitted.

-Only one photo per category per person, so that means only 7 max.

-Contest is only open to users currently registered on cc.com as of today (today as in the day I posted this and not the day you read it)

-No Photoshoped photos except for the Humor category.

-Entries will be accepted for 2 weeks (maybe longer if we feel like it).

-Top entries will be decided by a group of users and those will be voted on for one week by all cc.com users.

-Rules and instructions are subject to change.

it says diddly about photo size.

-Post your photos w/ caption in the photo gallery and then embed them into your reply in THIS THREAD.

This rule limits the photo size doesn't it? Maybe I am ignorant on how to upload the photo and post it larger?

I really don't have any complaints other than the one posted above. I should have said, "my only complaint"

Why doesn't Gary just write some computer program algorithm that can tell us what the best photo is, so we don't even have to have human judges anymore.

That's some funny shiz. :lmao:

Tony:

I now resize my images at 900 pixels for the default, I used to do standard 800. You can size it anyway you want, over 1100 pixels gets big, and for our slo-feed friends, 800 is the quickest for loading. I have heard from folks that my 900 is waaayyyy slower to load.