layton

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sweet thanks.

Why seattle?

Jobs and People, close to the Cascades.

Why, are the Oregon Cascades not :pagetop: enough for you??

oregon cascades are more chossy and less well big there are just less of them here. there is less cragging to. some great stuff but Wa is better.

It kinda sucks because I need to get a place before I get a job as an associate chiropractor (re: bitch, coffee getter, errand runner). I'd rather live where I want and commute, I made that mistake when I 1st moved to portland and got a place very close to my school...which is almost in Gresham. Needless to say it sucked and I moved.

It kinda sucks because I need to get a place before I get a job as an associate chiropractor (re: bitch, coffee getter, errand runner). I'd rather live where I want and commute, I made that mistake when I 1st moved to portland and got a place very close to my school...which is almost in Gresham. Needless to say it sucked and I moved.

You probably already have lots of chiro connections, but if not, I have a good friend (fellow hockey coach) who is a chiro in Bellevue and might be able to help you out on the job front. He is a really cool guy, in his early 30's, passionate about his work and about sports. Let me know if you want me to make the introduction.

My vote goes to the U-district, the closer you can get to all the frat houses the better. It's really great there. Endless noise until the wee hours of the mourning, burning couches in the street, high police presence, and just maybe you can get all of your shit stolen by some worthless crackhead.

I'm stating the obvious, but a good neighborhood varies from block to block or even house to house.

We liked our old neighborhood of Ballard, because we could walk to the grocery store and it was a 24 hour community (well, as close as Seattle gets but they do have a Denny's). Now we live in a snobby area and you know what? Our neighbors are friendly and we actually socialize with them.

I lived in Capitol Hill, Eastlake, Montlake, and Phinney Ridge. My sister lives in the Central District. I've got friends in Columbia City and West Seattle. All in all, I'm partial to Phinney and Ballard if you want to live somewhere that allows you to walk to the store, restaraunts, and etc. But damn if my buddy in West Seattle doesn't have a pretty good location.

Don't underestimate the value of living close to where you work. Going home for lunch is nice!

Someone previously ripped on the Rainier Valley. I've lived in Seward Park neighborhood for 10 years and really like the place. Columbia City has gotten several new good restaurants in the last few years. We finally got a movie theater. The vibe is similar to Ballard 10 or so years ago when all the dive bars were being converted to neighborhood pubs and a ton of new restaurants started opening. I'm less than a mile from Seward Park and Lake Washington Blvd (which is a several mile long park) which both have great lakeside running paths and are great for cycling. I can head north and link up with the Burke-Gilman/Samamish trails for something like 70 miles RT of riding or cruise over to Mercer Island via I-90 for a shorter ride. I can walk 2 blocks to my local co-op and have a brand new coffee shop across the street from it. There's a dog run a couple of miles away, lighted soccer fields there too. Getting to I-5 and some of the north parts of town are a bit of a pain but access to the south and east are very good.

I like Ballard but to me it's a pain to get around from there plus I read that starter homes are pushing 600K there.

I think a couple things mentioned before are very true about Seattle. Neighborhoods can vary a lot street to street and a short commute are a big bonus, mine's less than 6 miles and involves no freeway travel.

Thanks for all the input, and especially to Kat for her offer for me to sleep in my truck. Kat, I don't have a parking brake, do you think that's going to be an issue in Seattle. I know you're crippled and all, but could you put a brick behind my wheels before I go to sleep? I'll give you some magic beans....

Archenemy, thanks for the offer. PM sent. I need connections in Seattle fo sho

-Mike

I like Ballard but to me it's a pain to get around from there plus I read that starter homes are pushing 600K there.

That was probably some realtor's hype. I've had more than one client sell or have homes in Ballard appraised at 375-400 in the last year. These were post WW2 homes in the flats with no view, but decent houses.

I've lived in

Capitol Hill

Rainier Valley

Seward Park

Eastlake

Wallingford

had my boat in Ballard for 7 years

worked in Fremont for 2 years

and would have to say that it completely depends on where you will work.

If you work in downtown Seattle, Belltown, or Fremont, then Belltown, Ballard, Eastlake, or Queen Anne are great places to live. Eastlake as GREAT access to I-5, I-90, and 520, as well as being right on Lake Union and having great eateries close bye and withing walking distance of bank and REI, and not too far from the gym. Ballard is great if you like more blue-collar, harbor living. Shilshole Bay marina is in Ballard, and is a great place to hang. Greenlake is also nice, but a bit less of a happening scene.

If you work near Pioneer Square, then West Seattle/Alki, or Seward Park might be really nice for you. You could even take the water taxi to work, as one of my friends does.

If you work ANYWHERE on the East side of Lake Washington (like Redmond or Bellevue), you should AVOID living north of the ship canal bridge, as the drive into Seattle in the am from the North is an absolute nightmare. Living in the Rainier Valley or Seward Park (or even some sections of Capitol Hill) is money, because of the access to the I-90 onramp at Rainer Ave. South.

Or, if you are working on the east side and if you are ready to actually buy a place, then I would suggest just foregoing moving to Seattle altogether and join me my brother in the hinterland that is Issaquah.

Before buying a home, I also considered the commute. Since then I realized that I change jobs more frequently (and sometimes unexpectedly) than I buy and sell my home. So my advice, if you are planning to buy, is to buy where you are happy--you never know where you are going to end up working two or three years down the road.