[TR] Tele

archenemy

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder why anyone would learn to tele? It definitely feels cooler to do nice turns, but telemarking just seems contrived to me these days - like climbing a route w/ one hand behind your back... Comments?

"Why do you tele?"

"Because I can."

(well, not me. I'm about the rando gear)

I've been tele skiing for ~6yrs now. At first it sucked and I was always bruised. I kept at it, though, sure that once I got the hang it'd be awesome. When I got better but it still wasn't awesome I bought more gear, convinced that was my problem. That helped a bit, but I still get tired a lot faster than I did on skis or a snowboard and I still crash lots more whenever the snow is suboptimal (which thankfully never happens in the NW). Since AT boots and dynafit bindings weigh about the same as modern tele gear but have the advantage of RELEASING, have ready-made ski crampons, and take much less energy and skill to use, I wonder why anyone would learn to tele? It definitely feels cooler to do nice turns, but telemarking just seems contrived to me these days - like climbing a route w/ one hand behind your back... Comments?

FYI; cable bindings, such as Rivas, are flexible enough not to require a release mechanism. With proper adjustment, you'll blow out of the binding if it all goes wrong. Others, such as Voiles, have release options. I use the same ski crampons as AT folks. As for the rest; well, that's all personal preference, fitness, and skill.

I wonder why anyone would learn to tele? It definitely feels cooler to do nice turns, but telemarking just seems contrived to me these days - like climbing a route w/ one hand behind your back... Comments?

skiing is contrived. you end up where you started. much like all fitness or entertainment.

for some, me included - the atraction is the extra challenge

Telemark is a place in Norway, mon ami. It translates to "I get yelps and whoops from the chairlifts and, sadly, you don't."

Werd, tvash

Started on the stylie Kazama Cornices myself. Its been a perpetual evolution ever since. Keeping your shit together when your legs start to feel like noodles is a welcome challenge every time I go out. Ive been teleing for about 10yrs, but I still feel like I have a lot to learn and work on. I tried knuckle dragging several seasons ago and about half way through the winter, found my self riding and hucking with my friends who are life long boarders. Boring :sleep: And whats with clogging up the narrow slot off the lift and hiding of the off-side of bumps? Get the fuck out of the way. I dont move that fast, but I wont hesitate to inadvertantly smack your dumb ass with a pole on the way by.

Maroon Rossi Randonees!!!

I was just up at Big white and busted those suckers out for some evening touring and a long run down a blue. They are still awesome skis! Especially with hot neon pink and green Rottefella three pins!

They are a little easier to turn with T-3s than the Snowfield IIs I used back in the day. :grin:

Give me a call Arch if you want to go up. I have a sure fire teaching technique. BTW you should be wearing kneepads. Got my number still?

:brew:

Suck it up, like they say "If it was easy, it'd be called "snowboarding"".

i guess that's why we (boarders) are always the last ones on the mountain at the end of the day :wazup:

i actually ride primarily with tele skiers

That's because snowboarders spend half the day sitting on the slopes just over a blind hump, or immediately off the lift. You spent too much time resting and not enough time "riding"

ummm not all of us sit on our asses! in fact i don't even sit to strap in! and am irritated by most snowboarders

Telemark is a place in Norway, mon ami. It translates to "I get yelps and whoops from the chairlifts and, sadly, you don't."

Werd, tvash

Started on the stylie Kazama Cornices myself. Its been a perpetual evolution ever since. Keeping your shit together when your legs start to feel like noodles is a welcome challenge every time I go out. Ive been teleing for about 10yrs, but I still feel like I have a lot to learn and work on. I tried knuckle dragging several seasons ago and about half way through the winter, found my self riding and hucking with my friends who are life long boarders. Boring :sleep: And whats with clogging up the narrow slot off the lift and hiding of the off-side of bumps? Get the fuck out of the way. I dont move that fast, but I wont hesitate to inadvertantly smack your dumb ass with a pole on the way by.

I had Kazamas myself at one point, myself. Can't remember the model. Pretty good ski, as I recall.

Now that we're dragging out the model Ts of skis:

Fischer Europa 99s, baby!

Karhus...follow that fucking bear, bitch.

Heel lifts made from 2" sections of dowel and shock cord. I wan - it. I wan - it.

Postal Service woolies, Pendletons and dachsteins. Baaaaaaa!

BUt my absolute keeewwwwlist piece of gear, stolen from high school metal shop: green safety glasses. Supahfly!

I learned to tele on a pair of Europa 99's my brother-in-law gave me that had some lightweight 3 pins on them. When I finally upgraded and moved my Riva cable bindings to a pair of Toute Neige, I counted 34 holes in the 99's. Apparently my bro-in-law got them 2nd (or 3rd) hand as well.

I've been tele skiing for ~6yrs now. At first it sucked and I was always bruised. I kept at it, though, sure that once I got the hang it'd be awesome. When I got better but it still wasn't awesome I bought more gear, convinced that was my problem. That helped a bit, but I still get tired a lot faster than I did on skis or a snowboard and I still crash lots more whenever the snow is suboptimal (which thankfully never happens in the NW). Since AT boots and dynafit bindings weigh about the same as modern tele gear but have the advantage of RELEASING, have ready-made ski crampons, and take much less energy and skill to use, I wonder why anyone would learn to tele? It definitely feels cooler to do nice turns, but telemarking just seems contrived to me these days - like climbing a route w/ one hand behind your back... Comments?

FYI; cable bindings, such as Rivas, are flexible enough not to require a release mechanism. With proper adjustment, you'll blow out of the binding if it all goes wrong. Others, such as Voiles, have release options. I use the same ski crampons as AT folks. As for the rest; well, that's all personal preference, fitness, and skill.

My bindings do release, thankfully.

I was a little concerned about it, but I think I got over that fear when I started snowboarding (the fear of having equipment stuck to me while going ass over teakettle down the hill).

My first backcountry setup: 1958 steel Hart standards (210cm), Marker explodomat toe pieces with front throw cable, long thongs, plus Raichle Molitair double boots with the midsole removed so they would flex a little at the arch. Plus a first edition copy of Steve Barnett's "Downhill Nordic" looking more tattered than my Muir VW repair manual. I've been trying to go with lighter gear ever since.

I love the tele turn, but AT is nicer on my knees.

OK, I just checked my antique skis. They're 'Seattle Super Hickories', made in Norway, apparently rented or purchased from the U Book Store. 198 cm. Metal edges (screwed in) on the sides, phenolic edges on the shovel.

The bindings are Dovre KX cables with lock down hooks on the sides, with a spring loaded release cable (similar to the older Rivas) and a gooseneck cable tension adjustment in front.

Overall, a pretty sophisticated setup for the time, really.