[TR] Tele

archenemy

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like they'll have to redesign the binder on that sit ski with something much larger than a dildo, but the market for fat-midgets-with-severely-distended-colons specific snow-sliding equipment is probably a little too small at this point to warrant the R&D.

This thread proves that anything; driveway pebble size, underwear color, choice of hamburger condoments, can be controversial in the right venue.

I learned to tely because that's the gear I happened to buy for for my first backcountry ski trip used and cheap in college. By the time I bought my first lift ticket a couple of years later, I was already to used to having a free heel to switch. Plus I still couldn't afford a second type of gear. And, until very recently, AT gear has remained MUCH heavier that tely gear for backcountry travel. Pretty much end of story.

Tely binding weren't invented to be cool; they were the first binding invented period, probably more than six thousand years ago, if scandinavian petroglyphs are any indication.

Most of the modern ski technology we enjoy today was developed by tely skiiers in the late 19th and early 20th century. Laminated skis, ridge topped skis, capped skis, metal edges, shaped skis, ski waxes; all this was in place by the 1930s. Tely skis and bindings became more reliable and sophisticated with the advent of spring loaded metal cables when ski jumping became popular in Norway around the turn of the century. Ski jumping is inarguably cool. Any of you fucking pussies ski jump? I didn't think so. In the 20s and 30s, manufacturers began to introduce cable guides on the side of their bindings so allow a semi locked down heel. The true releaseable binding didn't come along until the late 40s/early 50s (invented by an Oregonian, actually). That marked the beginning of the end of cable use in downhill bindings (and a huge drop in interest in telemark skiing).

So, say what you want about telemark skiing, but it represents nearly the entire long history of skiing as we know it, and, regardless of what you ride today, that is a very, very cool thing in itself.

i was in utah skiing...well...looking for a ski at the base of about a 8ft drop when we hear "oh shit" from a guy on teles jumping over us. he stuck the landing and hit the next jump saying "sorry dudes" while soaring thru the air. it was proud!!

I saw guy almost do the same thing up at Bachelor at the very top on the lip that stick out over slide for life on Teles. Guy was amazing. That takes some talent. Think he hiked to the top to do that from the top chair lift.

Edited by Seahawks

This thread proves that anything; driveway pebble size, underwear color, choice of hamburger condoments, can be controversial in the right venue.

I learned to tely because that's the gear I happened to buy for for my first backcountry ski trip used and cheap in college. By the time I bought my first lift ticket a couple of years later, I was already to used to having a free heel to switch. Plus I still couldn't afford a second type of gear. And, until very recently, AT gear has remained MUCH heavier that tely gear for backcountry travel. Pretty much end of story.

Tely binding weren't invented to be cool; they were the first binding invented period, probably more than six thousand years ago, if scandinavian petroglyphs are any indication.

Most of the modern ski technology we enjoy today was developed by tely skiiers in the late 19th and early 20th century. Laminated skis, ridge topped skis, capped skis, metal edges, shaped skis, ski waxes; all this was in place by the 1930s. Tely skis and bindings became more reliable and sophisticated with the advent of spring loaded metal cables when ski jumping became popular in Norway around the turn of the century. Ski jumping is inarguably cool. Any of you fucking pussies ski jump? I didn't think so. In the 20s and 30s, manufacturers began to introduce cable guides on the side of their bindings so allow a semi locked down heel. The true releaseable binding didn't come along until the late 40s/early 50s (invented by an Oregonian, actually). That marked the beginning of the end of cable use in downhill bindings (and a huge drop in interest in telemark skiing).

So, say what you want about telemark skiing, but it represents nearly the entire long history of skiing as we know it, and, regardless of what you ride today, that is a very, very cool thing in itself.

*yawn*

...and that concludes the history portion of our programming

You forgot Hannes Schneider et all kicking ass with Christie turns in the Arlberg (20s and 30s), then teaching the world to ski like that.

If it floats your boat, whatever. It's just a turn, not a lifestyle hippie.

Oh, and for most people Tele = License to Suck

That ain't nothing. You definitely don't want to take up downhill mountain biking. In my expericience I have found that rocks and dirt are much harder than snow. Tree also are harder than snow, but you have an opportunity to hit trees in either of those sports.

Suck it up, like they say "If it was easy, it'd be called "snowboarding"".

i guess that's why we (boarders) are always the last ones on the mountain at the end of the day :wazup:

i actually ride primarily with tele skiers

That's because snowboarders spend half the day sitting on the slopes just over a blind hump, or immediately off the lift. You spent too much time resting and not enough time "riding"

ummm not all of us sit on our asses! in fact i don't even sit to strap in! and am irritated by most snowboarders

Knottygirl, don't listen to those ignoramus mofo's, obviously they have never riden with someone who doesn't fuckin' sit on their ass all day long or have ever tried snowboarding. Anybody that thinks it is easy is stupid. Yeah of course it is easy if you sit on your ass all day and don't take time to develop skill to hit the bc, bumps or rip the steeps. Hell if I never skied before and took up skiing and stayed on bunny slopes all day long, yeah I would think it is easy. Well duh, anything is easy if you don't push yourself.

I might be a little defensive since I haven't gotten to ride for over two years now. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Have to agree with Ken here. It'd be interesting to watch anyone who dismisses snowboarding as easy hit a steep bumpline on a board.

There's a challenge to riding your heel side edge in a straight line down the entire run?

Sadly enough, that's normally how it gets done, and is almost certainly the manner in which the "snowboarding is too easy so I have to tele for a challenge" crew would descend any such line.

Now that I can ski again, and haven't been on my board more than once or twice a season for the past four years or so, that's probably what I'd have to resort to at this point as well.

Sadly enough, that's normally how it gets done, and is almost certainly the manner in which the "snowboarding is too easy so I have to tele for a challenge" crew would descend any such line

On the plus side shitty snowboarders really up the ante in tight chutes for anyone skiing skis longer than a 160 thanks to that board width trench running right down the middle