Huge pileup on I-90

catbirdseat

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think that accident happened because of the fact it was on the bridge over denny creek. Momentum and black ice is a little different than driving in just plain old snow. Maybe I'm wrong but bridges tend to freeze first and it did get colder today. But drivers in the northwest do suck cow ass!!!!!!

Is it snowing?

It's snowing a little here in Maple Leaf (I just got home). It was snowing like a sumabitch in the E-V-T. I had about 8 inches on top of my car.

I just returned from rescuing my daughter from the hill out front of our house. She couldn't go up and was afraid to go down and risk sliding into traffic.

""They needed 12 feet of snow to cause this display""

Yeah but 18" in 24 hrs aint nothing to sneeze at.

Here's what my Civic wagon looked like on the Mowich Lake Road after getting back from 2 days at the base of Rainier (2-27,28-07). On the drive in couldn't make the last 2 miles to the Paul Peak Trailhead because the snow was a foot deep. Traffic had packed the snow down so I could make it that far. But driving out the additional 18" of new meant I had to get lucky with 2 Toyota 4x pickups coming up to retrieve one of their buddies. They dragged me back down about 4 miles.

CivicSmall.jpg

I was up skiing with a bus load of middle/high school kids and we were forced to get in 4 extra hours of skiing in the best conditions I've seen at the pass this year. I'm glad nobody was killed to get us the extra time on the slopes.

Our drive up and back were both on basically bare, wet pavement, but it was snowing fairly hard off and on all Wednesday afternoon and in the mid 20's so I'm sure the bridge did ice up about the time the accident occurred.

Still, I heard from pass personnel (who know the DOT people there pretty well) that it was basically user error, as usual, that caused the accident. As you would expect.

With as many snow days as we've had around here, you would think people would start to get it by the end of February!