Blowing up my knee and back

Did the "Big Weight" four and five days ago, squats and deadlifts. Now my right knee is tweeked, and my back is giving me problems. I use good form for these lifts, and didn't feel pain during any lift.

I have a chipped vert. in the lumber region, which hasn't bugged me too much for a few years, how do I tell if it's that or a slipped or herniated disk?

My knee pops like bubble wrap, doesn't hurt all the time, but feels weak and begins to hurt sharply during lifts/strain. It actually "clunks" when it is about 1/2 way to full extension from a 90 deg bent position.

What are my problems, and how do I make them better without complete rest?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are my problems, and how do I make them better without complete rest?

A face lift and tummy tuck will get you more action.

oh, sorry, couldn't resist.

Caveat, I'm not a doctor, do not play one on TV, yet I did tryout for a play once where I would be playing across from an actor playing a Doctor.

You are welcome.

Ice and rest and see what happens Chode, you knew there was a reason to wait for Layton, this is it.

BTW - Good luck with it.

are you one of those people who only squats to parallel? What's heavy? like 1RM-heavy-cannot-possibly-move-more-than-this, or heavy multiple reps? how often do you lift the "Big Weight"? What's wrong with complete rest?

I squat a bit below parallel but not much further. I certainly don't sit on my heels, but I'm making an effort. "Heavy" was 225lbs for both dips and deadlifts, 5 sets of 5. I could probably do 300 for one rep. Frequency for these loads might be on the order of every 2-3 weeks or so, whatever "Coach" dictates.

I realize I need to rest some, ice, Ibu, stretches, but I want to do some "active recovery" so I don't lose any fitness/strength in these areas.

well, if you think you might have herniated or slipped a disk then you should probably see a medical professional.

If you never do these lifts except every few weeks when Coach says go heavy then it's not surprising if you wreck yourself on them. Injurious shearing forces at the knee joint and lower back might come as a consequence of loss of engagement of posterior musculature (Glutes and Hamstrings). Not having seen you perform the lifts I can't say whether your form is good or not ... but if you are wrecking your body, then your form is perhaps not as good as it ought to be for lifting those weights. And your "strength" in these areas is not real if a test of it is followed by days of crippling pain, so you aren't losing anything. IMO fitness and strength are lifetime goals, 2 weeks rest dropping my 1RM by 15% doesn't mean a hell of a lot if it is the difference between independence and mobility for the rest of my life versus the wheelchair and nursing home.

I have more thoughts, but perhaps I will leave it at that ... I hope your pain is just a temporary post-workout thing and you feel better soon

Choad, the DDX's high on the list for your back if it's related to your lifting is Disc Herniation, Disc Derrangement, Facet Syndrome, Sprain/Strain, and or Instability. And same for the Knee, it could be patellar tracking issues, chondromalacia patella, ITB syndrome, synovial plicae, torn menisus, or knee instability from lax/torn ACL,PCL,LCL,MCL. A detailed history and physical exam and conservative course of treatment is applicable for ~6months at which time a re-evaluation and xrays with MRI or CT if warrented, at which time you can decide if surgery or rehab will fix it...but with no gross damage or severe lack of function a conservative approach should benifit your complaints.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Why are you straining yourself so hard? No sport is

worth destroying your health. I have a shoulder injury since

high school days that has stayed with me for 21 years.

Find another way to train, swimming will do wonders for

your recovery. I suggest you find a pool and a hot tub and

swim and gently use your sore limbs. There are suppliments

in health food stores that also will help.