Can I glissade with crampons on?

ClimbingPanther

NO!!!

I get the "Accidents in North American Mountaineering" book every year at Christmas, and without fail, there is always an accident involving someone who sat down to slide down the snow with crampons on. If you enjoy compound fractures of your tibia/fibula, then this is THE activity for you. If that does not sound like fun, then never, ever do this, period. Someone who knew better and was just sliding a short distance to test the conditions for glissading even got injured, so don't try it. I wonder what is the best way to get the word out on this? I think it should be in the instructions for crampons, and all renters should make it a point to say this. This is THE most unnecessary (and preventable) injury in mountaineering.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Way back in the beginning I thought to glissade down a very modest slope, crampons attached to boots. Later a guy came up to tell me his story about breaking both legs doing the same. Being some ways away from his car, he apparently had something of an epic return. It's better to learn from others' mistakes.

So much for Newbies being spray free. Frigin posers.

How many ignorant questions did you all ask when you were starting out?

Or were you born with crampons on?

This forum is FOR questions like this.

Clearly, the answer to glissading with crampons on is "NEVER!!!"

The post directing you to Accidents of North America was a good idea. I love to read accident reports and still, after 30+ years of climbing, frequently learn something valuable.

Ask more questions and ignore the idiots.

PM me if you want.

ya think theres too much spray ??

Thats why I seldom ask questions on this site because the answers are generally humilliating, and insulting. I do understand the question was retorical but many NEWBIES who

come to this site don't want a bunch of shit, they want respect

for the questions they have. WHY??? Because they, we, I, am a NEWBIE>.......Whom do we ask questions??? Most of you people???

I don't think so cause most of you people forgot that YOU were

NEWBIES once apon a time and now all you can do is discourage

people who lack expierience to ask questions that COULD save their lives.

he's right about the spray, there's a bit too much of it outside of Spray, but I suppose this is nothing new, eh old timers?

Actually, this is quite new. Place has kind of gone to hell recently. And I mean recently.

Bug is right. Spray belongs in spray. The Newbie forum has usually stayed pretty respectful and sprayfree.

I've done it before and I didn't break anything. Sometimes you get the right conditions where you are mostly downclimbing but you hit a couple of little 100m soft snow sections you can glissade, and you don't want to stop, take your crampons off, glissade, put 'em back on again for the next section of downclimbing. You just have to be extra super cautious.