Tree Butcher

catbirdseat

Watch out for Cedar's Tree Service. There was a story on King5 TV about a guy who's taking money up front and leaving people with a huge mess. They have to call another tree service to clean it all up. He butchers the trees, lopping off main limbs, without any concern for basic pruning practices.

For God's sake, AlpineK, get well, so you can get back to work. Your unscrupulous competitors are taking advantage of your absence.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seattle, the 'Emerald City', has lost 1.7 million trees since 1972.

My next door neighbor just cut down four beautiful, healthy, 30 year old doug firs. The folks across the street took out 2 enormous doug firs from their back yard that didn't seem to be in the way of anything.

Many healthy trees that have withstood the test of time get the axe for bullshit reasons: they're 'messy', they 'might get blown down', they're 'out of scale', or they 'might ruin the sidewalk'.

Many get the axe through urban densification (thank you Mr. Nichols). Fucking ugly Bellevue style econoboxes and townhouses are springing up all over Seattle's craftsman neighborhoods.

Some of the big trees that are left are being killed by climate change. Two big Eastern Pines up the street just up and died in the last 5 years.

It's fucked.

Your standard 4 neuron response.

There is plenty of room for more trees in Seattle, both large, old ones and new ones, even with densification. They can easily coexist. It depends on how densification is done.

It's estimated that American cities could support 700 million more trees than they do now without eliminating any existing infrastructure.

Tvash, are you kidding? What possible good could come from having a tree in your yard? It blocks the sun, drops leaves, might fall on your house, blocks your neighbor's view, and makes moss grow on the roof. Birds perch in it and shit on your car.

The Norski's in Ballard had the right idea.

Lawn of the future Lawn of the future Lawn of the future Lawn of the future Lawn of the future Lawn of the future Lawn of the future Lawn of the future Lawn of the future Lawn of the future Lawn of the future Lawn of the future Lawn of the future Lawn of the future Lawn of the future Lawn of the future Lawn of the future Lawn of the future Lawn of the future Lawn of the future Lawn of the future Lawn of the future Lawn of the future Lawn of the future Lawn of the future Lawn of the future Lawn of the future Lawn of the future Lawn of the future Lawn of the future Lawn of the future Lawn of the future Lawn of the future Lawn of the future

Edited by tvashtarkatena

This story is about fraud. About someone doing a very poor job of pruning trees and leaving people with ugly sticks. It's not about whether trees are good or not.

It takes quite a bit of know-how and experience to do a good job of pruning a tree. The victims in this story wanted to save their trees. They wanted them thinned or trimmed back so they could keep them.

There is plenty of room for more trees in Seattle, both large, old ones and new ones

The city just planted two nice arbutus trees in our front yard, and a bunch more trees on our block. trees sure are nice, and it seems that the city is at least trying to replant various neighborhoods. better than nothing.

My landlord repeatedly mentioned wanting to cut down the 50+ year old atlas cedar in my front yard because it "was killing the grass". No idea why he treasures grass over trees, particularly one this old.

He seems to have changed his mind after I told him it not only added around $5k to the property value and would cost him at least that much to have it cut down (it's huge), but it served as the only shade for the house in summer -- and I'd move if he cut it.

My landlord repeatedly mentioned wanting to cut down the 50+ year old atlas cedar in my front yard because it "was killing the grass". No idea why he treasures grass over trees, particularly one this old.

He seems to have changed his mind after I told him it not only added around $5k to the property value

National studies have shown that it can add as much as $15K.

This story is about fraud. About someone doing a very poor job of pruning trees and leaving people with ugly sticks. It's not about whether trees are good or not.

OMFG! thread drift happened :o:cry:

I don't normally try to be the drift cop, but in this case, we had a very similar thread on municipal trees in the recent past.

I think that a lot of the problems with trees stem from poor choices in the selection of variety. If you are going to plant extremely fast growing forest type trees, you should be prepared to cut them down in a few years and plant new ones.

The atlas and deodar cedars are great looking trees, but are also pretty fast growing. They take to pruning quite a bit better than other conifers, however, so they can be managed to a point.