climbing gloves

vanisle

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I carry multiple pairs of light fleece and/or softshell gloves for climbing and a pair of mitts for belaying.

I was looking at MEC's Dr. Sno glove ($45) today, and thought they would be good for ice. Snug fit with good dexterity.

The Dr. Sno gloves are good and have a nice leather palm, but my favourite has to be the Cloudveil IceFloe - the only problem is there is no membrane and you can get pretty wet.

New BD Punisher looks like it may have solved that problem - anybody tried it out yet?

Yeah, I have a pair of the Punishers. They're warm for the weight, but...they stretch. Bought them small, now they seem a bit too comfortable. And, the membrane makes the fingertips feel "slippery", if you know what I mean. This sums it up pretty well: if you can see a carabiner on your harness, you can grab it and handle it reasonably. If you reach around to grab something on the back loops of your harness, you probably won't be able to tell how to grab it, and what exactly it is, without craning around to see what it is.

I'll admit, though, the're a pretty good compromise between warmth and dexterity.

What gloves do you all recomend for west coast ice?

This is what I would do. Go to your nearest gas station. Find the usual rack of Atlas rubberized-palm work gloves. Buy four pair at ~4 bucks a piece. Throw all four pair in your pack, and a pair of down mittens, as well. As each of the pair get soaked, grab the next pair, and use the mittens to warm up in-between time. The four pair of of the Atlas gloves will run you 1/5th the cost of my Punishers. :grlaf:

I coaxed three hard winter seasons out of a pair of Mountain Hardware "Torsion". Initially, I nearly gagged on the price, but Brian assured me he'd take them back if I didn't find them worth it. After two pretty stormy alpine trips, I was convinced. They are thin, dexterous, yet somehow manage to keep my hands warm as well - I've used them to zero farenheit. Below that temperature, I have gloves & mittens big enough to use the torsions as a liner. I've also had good experiences with the Atlas rubber-palm hardware store gloves -- you can't go wrong for the price, and they do actually perform pretty respectably.

http://www.seamar.com/atlas/460.html

Freezer Gloves are great, similar but warmer(& more expensive) to the gloves suggested above.

I like thin fleece gloves also, take 2 pair so one can be drying (a mesh pocket inside your jacket)

Multipitch or poor weather I also bring a warmer pair of insulated gloves or mittens with a nylon shell that has some sort of water resistance. Too thick for climbing but nice to warm the fingers inbetween pitches or while belaying

Cheers, James

Edited by James F

Gloves from the hardware store are great for leashless climbing, I use them all the time. Most of the time though they are pretty hard to get dried out when they get wet. I have to take a few pairs with me if I want my hands to stay dry. For long routes windstopper material gloves are great, they dry out when you shove them inside of your jacket and they aren't to expensive.