student tasered multiple times at UCLA

Gary_Yngve

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember seeing some kind of a TV special a few years ago about a lab where they were trying to develop new ways to subdue out of control people or crowds that were less likely to endanger the police, and less likely to be lethal for the folks on the receiving end.

Seemed like a good idea, and was interesting to watch - sort of like a glimpse into a real, live James Bond laboratory. Guns that fired nets, cannisters that ejected a gazillion tiny marbles or oil slicks to keep people off of their feet, etc. Made me think of some other novel ideas, like the "Circle of Mockery" where the Riot Police would encircle an unruly subject and pantomime their antics until they were reduced to weeping in frustration.

Other ideas???

I remember seeing some kind of a TV special a few years ago about a lab where they were trying to develop new ways to subdue out of control people or crowds that were less likely to endanger the police, and less likely to be lethal for the folks on the receiving end.

Seemed like a good idea, and was interesting to watch - sort of like a glimpse into a real, live James Bond laboratory. Guns that fired nets, cannisters that ejected a gazillion tiny marbles or oil slicks to keep people off of their feet, etc. Made me think of some other novel ideas, like the "Circle of Mockery" where the Riot Police would encircle an unruly subject and pantomime their antics until they were reduced to weeping in frustration.

Other ideas???

Circle of Mockery. Damn that's pretty good! I had to Google it to convince myself it was an original idea.

I am not saying a single tasing is uncalled for, but I would think that after first tasing, when he couldn't really stand up, that maybe they should have just dragged him out. I would think it would be hard to stand after being hit with so many volts...
They would have had to hog tie him, but yes, that is what they should have done, given that he seemed to enjoy the Tasing so much.

Tazzing should be banned. How would you like to be tazed for any reason.
Let's see, given a choice between a night stick to the head or groin and a Taser, I'd take the Taser. Given a choice between having someone kneel on me so I can't breathe, I'd take the Taser. Given the choice between a bullet to the heart or a Taser, I'd take the Taser every time.

Well given those choices, I would take the tazer also. I have heard and read stories about tazer friendly cops who taze folks who aren’t doing anything but talking to them. There one such story which happened in down town Ptown about 3 years ago. The cop told a person who was the friend of the perpetrator to leave the conversation. This all happened in a park smart in public, right behind Dante’s bar. The cop (in my opinion) can not tell someone to leave a public area, when they have not broken any laws. The cop told the friend to walk away, the friend did not, stating “you don’t have the right to tell me where to stand’, the cop got frustrated and tazed his ass. The friend sued. Don’t remember what was the outcome.

Frickin trigger friendly tazer cops scare me.

Let's see, given a choice between a night stick to the head or groin and a Taser, I'd take the Taser. Given a choice between having someone kneel on me so I can't breathe, I'd take the Taser. Given the choice between a bullet to the heart or a Taser, I'd take the Taser every time.

I believe the choices here were:

1. night stick to the head

or

2. groin and taser

I'll take #2 with pleasure

I believe the choices here were:

1. night stick to the head

or

2. groin and taser

I'll take #2 with pleasure

you would take a nightstick in your groin with pleasure?

From the video (which is not all that clear) it appears that he was cuffed, but resisted when walking out. This is clearly not a case where a taser should be used. They could have had a couple people carry him out and be done. By tasing multiple times, they now have national attention and (likely) a law suit on their hands.

Exactly. Think of protests where protestors refuse to leave - sitting or laying in place. The police have to handcuff or hog-tie each person one by one and *carry* them to a paddy wagon. They don't repeatedly shock them with tasers, whack them with nightsticks, or whatever. That's not what we want as a society.

Agreed. Seems like these campus cops could have just dragged him out. He was already cuffed. I saw something similar at the WTF protests. A group of 15 granola eaters had locked themselves together with some interesting pipes over their forearms. They were just sitting in a circle together. The cops said move along and they just sat there. The cops said ok, were're going to arrest you. The protesters said ok, have at it. Then for no particular reason the head copper just went around the circl spraying all of them directly in the face with pepper spray. There was a "reaction" from the large crowd, someone tossed a large teddy bear at the cops and things went downhill from there.

Might just be you.

Seems like a case of is versus ought. In an ideal world, the police would have used tactics that were more effective and less painful to remove the guy from the building. In the same world, the said guy would have refrained from the self-dramatizing histrionics and would have left when asked to do so. I think it's reasonable to expect police to abide by a higher standard than we expect of the average citizen, but in the real world you can expect that needless confrontational defiance "Oh yea - MAKE me leave..." will result in a non-ideal outcome for you.

Might just be you.

Seems like a case of is versus ought. In an ideal world, the police would have used tactics that were more effective and less painful to remove the guy from the building. In the same world, the said guy would have refrained from the self-dramatizing histrionics and would have left when asked to do so. I think it's reasonable to expect police to abide by a higher standard than we expect of the average citizen, but in the real world you can expect that needless confrontational defiance "Oh yea - MAKE me leave..." will result in a non-ideal outcome for you.

how does tasing the fuck out of someone "make them leave"? it looked like it had the opposite effect - he squirmed in pain and thrashed out with his limbs.

just pick the fucker up and carry him out.

SoCal police in general are militaristic assholes, and these rent-a-cops are apparently no better.