Bitch About Chestbeating Thread *DELETED*

kevbone

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on man, at least define what the hell you're talking about before quitting us like this!

SC, you have been climbing for some time, and most likely are a much better climber than I, just like most the folks here. You know damn well what spray is! You don’t need me to define it for you. I’m not biting.

I will make no assumptions about what "spray" and "bragging" mean to you.

brag (brg) Pronunciation Key

v. bragged, brag·ging, brags

v. intr.

To talk boastfully. See Synonyms at boast1.

v. tr.

To assert boastfully.

n.

A boast.

Arrogant or boastful speech or manner.

Something boasted of.

A braggart; a boaster.

Games. A card game similar to poker

Which of course necessitates the following:

boast1  /boʊst/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[bohst] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–verb (used without object) 1. to speak with exaggeration and excessive pride, esp. about oneself.

2. to speak with pride (often fol. by of): He boasted of his family's wealth.

–verb (used with object) 3. to speak of with excessive pride or vanity: He boasts himself a genius.

4. to be proud in the possession of: The town boasts a new school.

–noun 5. a thing boasted of; a cause for pride: Talent is his boast. It is her boast that she has never betrayed a friend.

6. exaggerated or objectionable speech; bragging: empty boasts and threats.

based on what I read in the "'06 tick list", nothing reeked of exaggeration, arrogance, excessive pride, bragging, or vanity; only #'s 4 and 5 for "boast" would fit, and they certainly don't carry the negative connotations you seemed to imply.

i think the mistake you might be making (if you are making one) is an assumption that anytime anyone speaks of "their" "accomplishments", they are engaged in the activities defined above; this doesn't necessarily seem to be the case.

This actually is an interesting topic for me, because it reaches deeply I think into so much of what constitutes life for most of us in our society, and ideas of "success" and etc etc. I'm reminded of a story I read about a really good native american runner from the southwest, hopi i think. he was good enough to receive a scholarship to a university, for which he was ostracized by many in his tribe. they thought he was "showing off" by being good at something. they thought he should not stand out in any way, and "success" was certainly a way of doing this. this kind of thing happens all the time, in every culture. conformity is imposed, as is conformity to acceptable non-conformist norms in sub-cultures.

Spray is easy to identify:

If it's not climbing related this is where you post it.

If we go by this fucking stupid definition, then almost all the posts on all the treads are spray! There is so much shit that IS NOT CLIMBING RELATED on the “ticks thread” Better put is on its own thread! If you don’t, you’re a HUGE fucking hypocrite. I talking to you OFF WHITE. That is by your own definition.

Thanks Kevin, I love to read your piss and moan fit instead of relaxing and enjoying the stoke! errr, I mean stroke. No one cares about the point you're trying to make, it's just not relevant. So drop it. You'd be more successful at deleting the thread if you stopped posting to it. Can.. you... do it? bet you can't.

Kevin's very clever retort follows:

Spraying is talking about climbing, Spraying on cc.com is everything but talking about climbing.

Spraying is human nature, not a bad thing. The long list of accomplished climbs were cool, inspiring and pure spray. We all do it, but when someone say's your spraying it's alittle hard to swallow.

It would be fun to know at what level of sparay guy's like chuck pratt, royal robbins and warren harding in their primes would have indulged with a public climbing forum.

Homo Joe Say's "WAY HOMO".

It's ok spray away, because you'll be dead in fifty years or sooner. Your headstone will read "HERE I SPRAY".

BTW Kev: I'm glad your post said there is nothing wrong with the spray part of sharing it. I think in your early posts, everyone, and I mean Everyone who read them thought that you thought that there was something wrong with sharing our climbs for the year, and that implied we should all just shut the Fu*k up because it bothered you for some reason.

So you know, I voluntered at the VA hospital for 2 years in the 70’s. I sometimes felt bad, because I was doing it for the good feeling it gave me of helping others. That is, I was doing it for selfish reasons. Pretty strange eh?

But the other side of the coin was that it really was a good thing at it’s core. Like the tick list thread that way, strange in that manner.

No?

I think a lot of life is that way.

Stange.

Strange and short too. Real short. So why get all worked up?

let's say i fuck some chick for pure selfish reasons (because i need to get laid) and because it makes me feel good. this is acceptable in my eye's as long as it was concensual (you were not hurting anybody else). spraying on cc.com does not hurt anyone but yourself, because i bet that more than half of you have accused someone that you didn't like of chestbeating at some point.

here i spray.

let's say i fuck some chick for pure selfish reasons (because i need to get laid) and because it makes me feel good. this is acceptable in my eye's as long as it was concensual (you were not hurting anybody else). spraying on cc.com does not hurt anyone but yourself, because i bet that more than half of you have accused someone that you didn't like of chestbeating at some point.

here i spray.

bravo!!!!!