slippery slope getting steeper

chucK

The current senate bill supposedly gives the president the right to hold US citizens without trial.

HOW CAN THIS HAPPEN?? Are the republicans so numb, so out of touch, that they think it's for our own good to have no recourse to imprisonment on mere suspicion? Wake up you Republican dumbshits. This is consolidation of power. We are allowing ourselves to be tied up. hellno3d.gif

"BURIED IN THE complex Senate compromise on detainee treatment is a real shocker, reaching far beyond the legal struggles about foreign terrorist suspects in the Guantanamo Bay fortress. The compromise legislation, which is racing toward the White House, authorizes the president to seize American citizens as enemy combatants, even if they have never left the United States. And once thrown into military prison, they cannot expect a trial by their peers or any other of the normal protections of the Bill of Rights."

See the complete article

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The passivity of the populace on this and related issues is quite astounding. "Well, ok, you can stick a GIS tracking device up my nose if it will help the war on terror"

This administration has been hell bent on consolidating executive power from the get go, and the Republican-run Congress has rubber-stamped it all. I'm quite surprised that most of the Republican senators went along with this one thought, it is really out there. The House will pass anything brought to them. thumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gif

Warning....both links require registration to view. This is nothing but a left wing conspiracy to get your email address and sell it to online marketing agencies - thus adding to their revenue, and further enabling the left wing media to spread their unpatriotic rhetoric and lies!!!

IMHO that is

Edited by ericb

HABEAS CORPUS!!

Please do not let the most important concept in our constitution be stricken.

Thank you for supporting the Specter-Leahy amendment. But since that narrowly failed, it seems vital to the interests of all Americans to protect Habeas.

PLEASE FILIBUSTER the Military Commissions Act of 2006.

Thank you for your attention.

I don't need to think about it...it's a party line thing...that's the beauty of our system

the_finger.gif

Imprisoning people without access to a lawyer, without any prompt trial system, torturing them, prosecuting them with secret evidence... Those are great ideals. Clearly the Republican Party is making the world a better place and making America a beacon of light in an unjust world.

NYT opinion article about the same subject

OK, this is scary. The passage of this bill would be the largest erosion of justice and civil rights in my lifetime. I think we need to contact our senators and let them know that we oppose this crap:

Contact Maria Cantwell

Contact Patty Murray

Anybody find a good sample letter?

Get on the phone! A letter will take up to 60 days to reach your Senator because of anthrax screening. Email is completely jammed.

CALL YOUR SENATORS NOW TOLL-FREE AT 800-828-0498, 800-459-1887 OR 800-614-2803 AND TELL THEM TO FILIBUSTER

If the toll-free numbers are jammed, then you can call Senator Murray in Washington D.C. at (202)224-2621. Senator Cantwell's number in the Capitol is (202)224-3441.

It is now being reported, however, that Democrats conceded the option to filibuster in exchange for a Republican agreement to consider four Deomcratic amendments to the bill. The amendments would curtail the police-state powers being pushed by the Republicans. As I write, three of the four amendments have been voted down. It's looking like Bush will get his get-out-of-jail-free card and America will get screwed.

Turn out the vote. Vote out the Neocons. Vote Democratic.

Fuck the Democrat vs. Republican bullshit.

I don't believe there's a selfless saint in either Party; every-single-fuckin'-one-of-'em is more interested in Self and/or Party power than serving this Country. Their ethic is: "what do I have a Right to do (what can I get away with)" not "what is the right thing to do".

I'm all for discussing the pros and cons of specific issues and legislation and believe that to be the most necessary and constructive.

Take your Party affiliation and sell it to someone looking for an identity.

Fuck the Democrat vs. Republican bullshit.

I don't believe there's a selfless saint in either Party; every-single-fuckin'-one-of-'em is more interested in Self and/or Party power than serving this Country. Their ethic is: "what do I have a Right to do (what can I get away with)" not "what is the right thing to do".

I'm all for discussing the pros and cons of specific issues and legislation and believe that to be the most necessary and constructive.

Take your Party affiliation and sell it to someone looking for an identity.

thumbs_up.gif

I think it would be better to vote out all incumbents at every election for a few years. Who cares that the balance of power would toggle every 2 years in the house. It would at least put the fear of God into those a-holes. hahaha.gif

I'd say these are some of the darker days for democratic values in recent memory. And most people will not be able to proudly answer their children in years to come when the ask "What were you doing about all this when it was happening?"

Answer: Posting in Spray

No. I called my senators and representatives today. I visit each of their offices once a year to discuss current legislation. I go to DC for work a couple times a year and make it a point to stop by with a letter and talk to the aids. I volunteer at two groups - one on environmental resource issues and one on social issues. How about you? If you have some free time email me and I'll put you in touch with some volunteer coordinators.

Or you could continue to sit on your hands like most people.

Edited by Jim