[TR] Baron Falls Tower–Carpal Tunnel (FA) 8/19/06

John Frieh

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blood in the water...

1) Overall route length is a much more appropriate gauge than # of pitches... our route was over 1000' long. We employed simulclimbing and a 70 m rope to do the route in six pitches. Just because Hans Florine does the nose in 2 pitches doesn't make it a grade II.

2) Pitch ratings for us: 10-, 10+, 11-/A0 (12- free), 5.8, 5.8, 5.9. Not simulclimbing/using a 70 m rope will result in a third 10 pitch.

3) The west face of Baron Tower is a seven pitch (the same length our route will be unless others employ the same tactics we did) 5.10 grade IV put up by Reid Dowdle... someone who knows more about ratings than any of us. The west face is the same height as the south west face.

4) I would agree that the NCCS does have its shortcomings and if anything perhaps a AG would be more appropriate. However # of pitches is not a correct basis for overall grade.

5) Jordan: the route you are thinking of is the North Ridge of Baron Spire which is an 18 pitch 5.11 that is commonly considered harder, longer and more sustained than Beckey/Chouinard. Seeing the topo I would say it makes the complete N ridge of Stuart look like the W ridge of Forbidden hahaha.gif

6) This forum doesn't have a moderator I believe... at least someone isn't listed at the bottom.

I does look like a quality line laugh.gif

But I still think that it sounds more like a III than a IV. 1000' is only like 330m. Say you did it with a 50m rope and it ended up being 9 pitches instead, I still think it would be a Grade III (sure, in the higher end of III) at that length and degree of sustainedness from the individual pitch ratings. But it sounds like it would be a good Alpine D+ for sure.

There was a similar discussion about the NCCS grades a couple of years ago that I have been to lazy to bump up instead of continuing the discussion here.

• 3 months later...
No A0 and NO 5.11. In fact lets just call it 5.7, probably not any harder than that.

Bill just to put in perspective the 5.11 pitch was harder then that route that I did the day we climb that new route this summer at Rocky. (sorry I forgot the name) It is not like I don't know what 5.11 trad feels like. I spent all summer working and doing 5.11's.

Edited by powderhound

A fine outing. Now you know why people leave others to rate their FA's. Whatever the grade, it looks like a fine line and a fun day on the rock. Great job and stay in the NW, I don't need people poaching my lines down here in warm, sunny Vegas.

Cheers and congrats on a nice climb.

So here is a classic example why time and number of pitchs don't matter. Description of Epinephrine:

Called a grade V, Epi (5.9) is usually done in a long day. Swain describes the route in 18 pitches but with a 60m rope, a competent team can do it it 10-12 pitches. The most famous element of the climb is the 300 feet of 5.9 chimney. . Enjoy this one, it's listed as a North American Classic for a reason!

I climbed this route in 10 pitchs and in 8 hours car to car when I was not near the physical or mental shape I was when John and I did Carpal Tunnel. So by G-Spotters standards maybe they should downgrade this All American Classic to a III. :tdown: :tdown:

Just my two cents but what do I know I am just a bumbling gumby anyways.

What with the grizziles and your bringing a waterbed and all?

yellaf.gif

Wasn't trying to bag on John and Scott's effort or climb or trying to be armchair climber or whatever, but the route objectively doesn't appear to be Grade IV, given the info from their trip report.

When you bag on someones climb at least get their name right it makes you look like spraying ass that has no idea what he is talking about.

By the way my NAME is BRYAN SCHMITZ

When you bag on someones climb at least get their name right it makes you look like spraying ass that has no idea what he is talking about.

By the way my NAME is BRYAN SCHMITZ

Thats funny!

Bill just to put in perspective the 5.11 pitch was harder then that route that I did the day we climb that new route this summer at Rocky. (sorry I forgot the name) It is not like I don't know what 5.11 trad feels like. I spent all summer working and doing 5.11's.

I know, I was just messing with Dru/G-spotter, not implying the Baron Spire route really is 5.7 and you're a pussy cause you're not at all. Awesome job.

I did solo that Rocky Butte route you mention later and downrate it to 5.8 though:-)

NOT! (I did solo it and knowing where the holds are makes it easier.)

BTW, I might be pulling some 5.7 indoors plastic with JF tomorrow.

Aren't you suppose to be doing finals now? ie, shouldn't you be studying instead of trying to keep up with G-Spotters post count?

Well speaking of soft brah, what about your Epinephrine claim. That's a "V" in a notoriously gimme grade area where routes like Rainbow Buttress and Black Orpheus each get a supposed IV. WTF, in my opinion the RB-BO link up is a IV (barely) and so is Epi, and your route is half the length and time of those.

Well speaking of soft brah, what about your Epinephrine claim. That's a "V" in a notoriously gimme grade area where routes like Rainbow Buttress and Black Orpheus each get a supposed IV. WTF, in my opinion the RB-BO link up is a IV (barely) and so is Epi, and your route is half the length and time of those.

There's the spit and fire I am used to. :fahq:

images_6_.jpg