[TR] Baron Falls Tower–Carpal Tunnel (FA) 8/19/06

John Frieh

Climb: Baron Falls Tower – Carpal Tunnel (FA)

Date of Climb: 8/19/2006

Trip Report:

Summary: Baron Falls Tower – Carpal Tunnel. 5.11- A0 grade IV. John Frieh and Bryan Schmitz August 19th 2006.

SW Face of Baron Falls Tower:

4479route.JPG

Note:Due to foreshortening upper pitches appear to be shorter than lower pitches. All pitches with the exception of 4.5 and 6 were a full 60 meters and in most cases 70 meters. We would recommend (and used) a 70 though a 60 is adequate.

Pitch 1: Start in the right of the two chimneys on the sw face. Climb to the top of the chimney and exit left into the left hand chimney. Continue to the top of the chimney until roof flakes force one right and up. Belay at a tree.

Pitch 2: Aim for RF dihedral that turns into wide flake. Continue up open book. Belay when rope runs out.

Pitch 3: Move up through series of roof to a slab move right into a left facing corner finger crack. Follow up to ledge.

Pitch 4: Angle up and right until able to turn corner and down climb 20’ to ledge next to dyke below large chock stone.

Pitch 4.5 Walk up dyke until a point where one can find a way to climb up onto the top of the chock stone. Belay here.

Pitch 5: Climb onto top of chock stone. Exit chock stone on right and continue up and right. Belay when rope runs out.

Pitch 6: Climb short finger crack in left facing dihedral. Top out.

Gear Notes:

4479fullrack.JPG

Approach Notes:

4479zoomzoom.JPG

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blah blah blah… Earlier this summer Bryan and I agreed to do a trip in between his summer internship and the start of fall classes at MSU… We kicked around a few ideas before we settled on the Sawtooths… and why not? Josh Ritter was playing a free show on Sunday anyways…

Drive all night to climb all day:

4479drivehome.JPG

4479waveparticleduality.JPG

Oh if only OR and WA were this progressive…

4479speed_limit.JPG

Maybe I should become # 101?

4479welcometostanley.JPG

Carpal Tunnel…

4479reflection.JPG

4479camp.JPG

4479loopswoop.JPG

44791.JPG

44792.JPG

44793.JPG

44794.JPG

44795.JPG

44796.JPG

44797.JPG

44798.JPG

44799.JPG

447910.JPG

447911.JPG

447912.JPG

447913.JPG

447914.JPG

447915.JPG

447916.JPG

447917.JPG

4479sunset.JPG

Following the climb we caught the Josh Ritter show Sunday rockband.gif:

4479rawk.JPG

fruit.giffruit.giffruit.gif

4479stalker.JPG

4479poster.JPG

Josh: thanks for the awesome show and even more some great music… it has been a silent friend for me the past 6 months… thank you.

More drivel:

thumbs_up.gif Bryan’s first alpine FA and second alpine climb ever! rockband.gif Looking forward to many many days in the canyon this winter as well as some more alpine trips d00d! laugh.gif

Post climb HCL.gif

4479horsecock.JPG

thumbs_down.gif For me forgetting the tent poles blush.gifcantfocus.gif

Bonus points hahaha.gifhahaha.gifhahaha.gifhahaha.gifhahaha.gif

4479trask.JPG

Have I told you lately... that I hate you?

Great work dude, gettin' stupid jealous.

CK

yellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gif

Hey if we both get the chop in two weeks we should cash out all our stock... between the two of us we should have enough to get a double wide in Stanley... wazzup.gif

It has to be some of that prime real estate right behind the bakery, to make it worth your while...

breakfast burritos rule... cheeburga_ron.gif

Shit, from this armchair it looks even easier than that. I think us internet warriors should collectively downgrade it to 5.9 Grade II.

No A0 and NO 5.11. In fact lets just call it 5.7, probably not any harder than that.

That way it seems easier, and we don't actually have to get on it or even leave town to confirm the actual grade.

What say. grin.gif

Wait, I'm looking at the pic differently now, I'll have to say that you are all correct, it's 5.9 Grade III with a spot of 5.10 MAYBE....but no aid hey?

There, that was easy. Whew.

This is a lot less dangerous too, I think they have Grizzlies in Idaho don't they?