Bad Week in Seattle / Puget Sound..vent away!

dmuja

I love the ranking of Finland on that list, BTW. My eldest sister lived there for a year in the late 80's, and at the time it was common practice for mothers to leave their babies out on the sidewalk in their strollers/buggies while they shopped (while the weather was nice). They were apparently horrified when my sister told them that virtually no one in the US would ever consider leaving their babies outside in a buggy for fear that they'd be kidnapped or harmed in some way, or that passer's by would become alarmed for the baby's safety and contact the police immediately.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the ranking of Finland on that list, BTW. My eldest sister lived there for a year in the late 80's, and at the time it was common practice for mothers to leave their babies out on the sidewalk in their strollers/buggies while they shopped (while the weather was nice). They were apparently horrified when my sister told them that virtually no one in the SU would ever consider leaving their babies outside in a buggy for fear that they'd be kidnapped or harmed in some way, or that passer's by would become alarmed for the baby's safety and contact the police immediately.

Yes, well US citizens feel safer walking at night

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_per_of_saf_wal_in_dar-crime-perception-safety-walking-dark

yelrotflmao.gif

Decidely imperfect, but the best I could find

The weird thing is, when I think of all the people I've known who've gotten mugged in this country, they are all the type of person who walks around in fear with a look of 'Please don't mug me' on their face. This would happen to them anywhere, I reckon.

I hardly think that the average US citizen needs to be living in fear either

Maybe you could send a note to all the mom's and dad's out there and let their kids walk to school and generally screw around outside getting some exercise instead of managing their time with 'activities'. That and maybe let them ride the bus to school or ride their bikes. I've had my fill of almost getting t-boned by hurried parents who feel they ALL have to drive little Bratleigh and Snotleigh to school.

I've wondered about this phenomena myself. I walked or rode a bike to school from about 3rd grade on, and rode my bike to my friends' houses from about 1st grade on, sans helmet - and my folks were hardly cavalier about this stuff. I was probably more at risk then than kids are today on a number of fronts, but other than the "don't talk with strangers" rule I pretty much had free range in the neighborhood and the surrounding woods. We also spent a bunch of time fishing in the local creek or tubing down it, building forts, making fires, etc - all delightfully free of parental supervision.

In one article that I read, the article suggested that the tendency of today's parents to overprotect their kids had less to do with the real risks that the kids face than the parents trying to compensate for their own shortcomings. E.g. "Maybe I hardly ever spend any time with you, your mother/father is no longer in the house, and I pretty much let the TV raise you when I am around, but...at least I've saved you from the one-in-a-few-dozen million chance that you'll be abducted by a stranger by implanting the kid-cam and the GPS unit." It'll be interesting to see how this affects the kids when they become adults.

I read some study about this. If you overmanage their lives, they tend to show a lack of creativity and lack the will to DO something without someone telling them to (of course, that may sound like your average teenager, regardless of the era). Not exactly the American working man ideal ...

Edited by foraker

The overmanaged types didn't seem to fare that well in general once the leash came off in college.

But the do end up making nice little cogs in the corporate machine....

Curious how much parental angst is due to increased transparency - now you can map the registered sex offenders in your area online, get updates of crime, etc.

The overmanaged types didn't seem to fare that well in general once the leash came off in college.

I would expect that to be the case, but do you have any statistics or case study anslysis of any kind?

Nope. I heard that our salutatorian - from a very strict, controlling home - lasted all of six months into her full-ride gig at SU before dropping out and hitting the pole for a living, but I believe that this was an exageration.

Mostly just an observation on my part that most of the people who took to partying and/or ho-ing as a lifestyle seemed to have come from environments where they didn't have much control over their lives or choices. Authoritarian and permissive parenting styles both seem to be pretty disastrous.

Mostly just an observation on my part that most of the people who took to partying and/or ho-ing as a lifestyle seemed to have come from environments where they didn't have much control over their lives or choices. Authoritarian and permissive parenting styles both seem to be pretty disastrous.

Sounds like we'd better ban gay marriages and flag burning before things get out of hand!....