Does anymore of Iron Horse go on clean aid?

Baltoro

I'm curious if the second pitch of Iron Horse will go on clean aid or not. I'm trying to find lots of clean aid options at the LTW and Iron Horse is a quick and eady setup for solo and without the same-old, same-old nutting of City Park. Variety is the spice of life and it looks like the second pitch of Iron Horse through the roof would be cool. Any alternatives would be great as well. Thanks for your time.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "second" pitch through the slot/roof is actually the full free version and as such should ONLY be done clean. The slot leading to the roof is very protectable (C1/2) and I think the roof is at least protectable while free climbing, maybe C2? Someone else might have a better answer to that one. The pitch is pretty long, too, maybe even >35-40 metres...

Everything at the lower town wall should be climbed CLEAN!!!

ty's right, even the routes not listed in Cramer's or Cummins respective index guides as clean aid, now go clean. i don't think iron horse goes through the roofs clean, but don't nail it, its a freeclimb. want more clean aid at the ltw: ten percent meterological vinculation p1 c2, narrow arrow direct p1 c2/c3 p2-4 c1, narrow arrow overhang p1 c2, stern farmer p1 c2 p2 c3f, shirley p1 c3.

Have these routes been climbed clean?

Harder:

Diagonal Start to Narrow Arrow Overhang

Deal w/It Ranger variation

Frog Pond P2

Artifice (full pitch)

Skin Graph (Unknown 139)

Easier:

Snowblind

Numbah 10 p2

Snow White p2

Stern Jr.

Several new variations have been climbed that are definitely not clean.

Yep...all future chipping should stop at the point its been freed at...

why don't you roll on down to the valley with a rack of iron and start bashing up something like serenity (even though its already been whacked to hell and beyond) and see what happens! yelrotflmao.gif

I don't think anyone was suggesting nailing a clean route.

I am pretty sure not one of the pitches I listed earlier have gone clean, but those feeling the need to nail a free route should go aid Bat Skins. The section between the last two bolts had a couple of fixed blades that were stolen. Aid the route and fix those blades again. It's a really fun route that sees little traffic.

Edited by Peter_Puget

Yep...all future chipping should stop at the point its been freed at...

why don't you roll on down to the valley with a rack of iron and start bashing up something like serenity (even though its already been whacked to hell and beyond) and see what happens! yelrotflmao.gif

So..OK...the Dihedral Wall was recently freed? was it not? Presuming that it was not previously done clean as an aid route (which I have no idea) will it/should it henceforth never again be nailed?

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you philosophically, but I am courious where the bounds are, if any exist, to the standard you advocate.