• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
frontrangeclimber

best multifuel stove bar none

Anyone have recommendations as to the best multifuel stove. Looking for something that is versatile in high altitude/cold conditions that requires the least amount of maintenance.

msr whisperlite international. just my opinion though as i haven't used any other. because the msr works so good, no need to try others

MSR XGK. I have owned two of these stoves over the past 25 years and they are great. Maintenance is more an issue of how clean the fule is than anything else and the XGK runs better on dirty crappy fuel than anything else out there, and is very easy to clean.

Jim

I like my XGK II.

mine has the solid fuel line, but they went back to a flexible line, and added "feet", and pot stabilizers with teeth.

Not sure if the flexible line is gain/loss over function.

flexible = packable, solid = less buildup?

It isn't the lightest, but I've been very happy with my MSR Dragonfly for the last 7 years with minimal maintenance. I'd buy it again.

If you are looking for a simmer control -

I would go with the Primus omnifuel, since it's a solid item and takes bottles and cannisters.

And the pump is metal

Edited by gearup5000

If you anticipate cooking for more than 2 people, the dragonfly's wide base is golden. You'll wish you had it when you knock over that big pot that was sitting on 3 toothpick-size arms

I'm a big XKG fan... Doen't matter if it's 20 years old or the latest and greatest. If i'm packing solo.. forget it... Many cannisters... will do the trick for you and save weight.

MSR XGK. No heavier than a whisper lite

Actually from MSR's website, the XGK EX is over 2 oz heavier than the whisperlite.

My older XGK is actually about 3.5 oz heaver than a whisperlite.

But I agree with the above posters, the XGK is a nice stove. wave.gif

MSR XGK. No heavier than a whisper lite

Actually from MSR's website, the XGK EX is over 2 oz heavier than the whisperlite.

My older XGK is actually about 3.5 oz heaver than a whisperlite.

But I agree with the above posters, the XGK is a nice stove. wave.gif

it's close enough for me (I don't cut off the end of my toothbrush handle either :-)) )

For bad gas and dirty kerosene, I've had good luck with the XGK. You have to take it apart and clean it a lot, but at least you can do that.

I've generally had trouble with the Whisperlite, even using clean white gas.