experience with NOLS

OlegV

Anybody had experience with NOLS? I am thinking sending my son to one of their 1 month expeditions next summer. Not sure what it is going to be, climbing, kayaking, or backpacking. As long as the experience is dramatic and affects him in the positive way. Anybody?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You might look up Doug Stufflebeam up in Mt Vernon. He's an old school climber and ex NOLS instructor that used to run an Alaska wilderness trip. I did a month long self contained paddle trip out of Petersburg with him when I was in college. It was my first introduction to mountaineering and Klenke style bushwhacking. We got a first ascent on a small peak, dinked around on the Baird Glacier, and saw an incredible amount of wildlife. I think his trips have moved onto Africa, but he may still run an Alaska gig.

NOLS is pretty solid. I know a lot of folks who have guided for them over the years. Also look at Wilderness Ventures, in Jackson, WY. I used to work for them. They have an awesome course up in Alaska for high school kids where you spend 10 days sea kayaking in Prince William Sound and then another 10 days backpacking in the Talkeetna Mountains. I loved guiding this course. They also have one for older kids that is a 3 week backpacking trip in the N. Cascades/Pasayten Wilderness with a resupply along Ross Lake. They have trips that deal with the Rockies, Tetons, AK, and of course the PNW. Not as international as NOLS, smaller oppoeration, but not as expensive either.

As long as the experience is dramatic and affects him in the positive way.

Any outdoor education experience (NOLS, OB, etc) will be dramatic... whether or not it is positive will depend on your kid.

If he has no interest in the outdoors it will be a dramatically bad experience. Think how you would feel if someone made you carry a backpack that weighted 45% of your body weight for 30 days against your will. If he is genuinely interested in learning more about whatever course he (not you) chooses then he will have a great time.

I would highly caution you against sending your kid on an outdoor education course just to get him out of the house (I say this only based on what you said in your last thread about your child... sorry if I misinterpreted things)... and the fact of the matter is NOLS or OB won't take him unless he wants to be there... NOLS and OB is in the business of education not entertainment of you children.

If you have specific questions about NOLS or NYC shoot me a pm... If I can't answer them I can put you in contact with other people if you want.

CorvallisClimb is a NOLS graduate also... but then again all he does is mushsmile.gif and aid climb since he took his course so you might want to reconsider yellaf.gifwink.gif Just kidding Ty!