JayB

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There you go...

Now do this to it...

6299michaelrig.jpg

THAT STUPID COAT RACK WOULDN'T HOLD A FACTOR .001 FALL!!! YOU WILL DIE!!!

Are those ordinary figure eight knots? Why do you need separate locking bines on the power point?

Come on, even a sport climber can see if you clipped one biner into the two power points, it would be triaxially loaded, causing you to DIE. rolleyes.gif

As complex as it appears, should think one could set up quickly with practice. If all you had was a thin crack and 4 RPs, maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing, especially if it were vertical.

But vertical, you couldn't hang all four coats up.

Come on, have some imagination! The coats would just be all overlapping like.

I built that anchor and it took me 10 minutes to get it right in the comfort of my own living room. I'm sure I could get it down to 5 minutes, but lordy, it's a PITA.

So the reason for the two biners is apparently to guard against the total failure of one side of the anchor, in which case a single biner on both strands would slide off. But why not just clip both strands using one biner and put a twist in one of the strands, same as for a sliding x?

I built that anchor and it took me 10 minutes to get it right in the comfort of my own living room. I'm sure I could get it down to 5 minutes, but lordy, it's a PITA.

So the reason for the two biners is apparently to guard against the total failure of one side of the anchor, in which case a single biner on both strands would slide off. But why not just clip both strands using one biner and put a twist in one of the strands, same as for a sliding x?

That's what I was wondering. Can't see any reason not to do that.

I'll bet you get your time down by 1 minute or so if you practice the one-handed clove hitch enough so that you can do it with both hands simultaneously.

Seriously though, 10 minutes when you're setting it up on a coat rack. Add the time required to fiddle in 4 rp's and you've got a 15 minute belay setup. Not to mention you probably need a freakin' 30' cordelette to set that mess up + EIGHT 'biners hellno3d.gif

I guess if you're toproping the vice-president or your mother-in-law, it might be worth it, but shee-it. That's all I've got to say.

I'm still going with clip-clip-"dirt me!" as the most efficient anchor setup. All this futzing about with cordage and snap-links and directional-non-sliding-self-equivocationalizing-doubled-back-clove-hitch-triple-backup-anti-ICBM-nuke-u-larwintersurvivalbunkeranchorsystems seems like time wasted when you could be downing a Clif Bar and dialing your sequence for the crux.

OK, I actually read the first 5 or so pages of that thread at RC.com. Geek_em8.gif

I believe I can answer your question of why two biners and no sliding X. It's because they say the X has a tendency to seize up under tension, thus compromising the equalization.

I sorta like this setup. Looks easy and does basically the same thing. Though I'm not sure what's going on with the biner on that three-point one.

duoglide.jpg

As complex as it appears, should think one could set up quickly with practice. If all you had was a thin crack and 4 RPs, maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing, especially if it were vertical.

But vertical, you couldn't hang all four coats up.

Come on, have some imagination! The coats would just be all overlapping like.

Have some common sense, do you see how small those hooks are? Maybe you have tiny, mincy cute jackets.