Highway 2 Traffic

iluka

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't say its always as bad as it was this Sunday, I got caught in that same traffic, and I didn't see that many rigs with skis or boards on top... was wondering if there was an accident somewhere. I've been doing Hgwy 2 for years and never saw it that bad. If there are new lights in Sultan, that might be part of the issue.

When it is really bad, it backs up from Sultan all the way past Index. You might as well just pull off and shoot yourself when that happens.

I don't know if it is true or not, but I've occasionally heard that some of the business people in those communities (Sultan, Startup, and Gold Bar) have been resisting the construction of a bypass.

As noted, going back late helps. Draw a circle around Seattle, and figure out when you would expect to drive home and arrive between 6:00 pm and 9:00 pm on a Sunday night, and avoid these hours at all cost. This applies to highway 2, I-90, and I-5.

Yes, from Index you can take Reiter Road around part of the backup, but you are dumped out back on Highway 2 short of Gold Bar and then you are back on Highway 2 until Sultan, where you can take a detour on the south side of the river. These alternatives will save you time on a bad night, but they don't solve the problem. And the, of course, once you are through all of that you have to take 522 back to Woodinville. cry.gifcry.gifcry.gif

Yes, from Index you can take Reiter Road around part of the backup, but you are dumped out back on Highway 2 short of Gold Bar and then you are back on Highway 2 until Sultan, where you can take a detour on the south side of the river. These alternatives will save you time on a bad night, but they don't solve the problem. And the, of course, once you are through all of that you have to take 522 back to Woodinville. cry.gifcry.gifcry.gif

Okeedokee,

Sad but true,I just never, ever go down the valley after about noon on Sunday any more. But if you have to:

You can indeed go down Reiter Road. Take a right at the stop sign before SR2 and follow May Creek Road around behind Gold Bar to hit SR2 at Mike the Barber's

From here to Startup you are really and truly fucked as there is no alternative bridge across the Wallace River.

Entering Startup you can take a right for a circuitous detour that brings you out on the Basin Road at the Saw Shop.

From Sultan your choices are two-fold. Left at the first light takes you south across the river thence west to come out on 203 just south of the Lewis Street bridge in Monroe. Right at the second light takes you past the golf course to come out in Monroe at the first light.

Woodinville/Duvall road is often a better choice than 522, but all choices are frequently hell.

If things are truly grim Jack's Pass is a pretty alternative from Sky to Index.

Now, the price you pay: Everybody puhleez drive like slowly, sanely, and safely on such of these alternatives that take you through residential neighborhoods especially through Index. Cars come an absolute maximum of fifth here in Tiny Town, after kids, pedestrians, bikes, and dogs, and we very much intend to keep it that way.

Okeedokee,

Sad but true,I just never, ever go down the valley after about noon on Sunday any more. But if you have to:

You can indeed go down Reiter Road. Take a right at the stop sign before SR2 and follow May Creek Road around behind Gold Bar to hit SR2 at Mike the Barber's

From here to Startup you are really and truly fucked as there is no alternative bridge across the Wallace River.

Entering Startup you can take a right for a circuitous detour that brings you out on the Basin Road at the Saw Shop.

From Sultan your choices are two-fold. Left at the first light takes you south across the river thence west to come out on 203 just south of the Lewis Street bridge in Monroe. Right at the second light takes you past the golf course to come out in Monroe at the first light.

Woodinville/Duvall road is often a better choice than 522, but all choices are frequently hell.

Now, the price you pay: Everybody puhleez drive like slowly, sanely, and safely on such of these alternatives that take you through residential neighborhoods especially through Index. Cars come an absolute maximum of fifth here in Tiny Town, after kids, pedestrians, bikes, and dogs, and we very much intend to keep it that way.

And don't tell anyone else; it's a secret shocked.gif

Okeedokee,

And don't tell anyone else; it's a secret shocked.gif

Much to late for that frown.giffrown.gif

How I know the highway's plugged is by traffic levels in front of the house.

The ski traffic is just way to heavy for that crap road. I-70 even backs up going back into the flatlands from Summit County in CO on the weekend afternoons sometimes, and that is a major highway.

I'm just cuirous how many more people need to die on US2 before they fix it. pitty.gif

I've seen traffic stopped on the highway where it makes those S-curves between Zeke's Burgers and the Mt. Index turn-off. We sat there for 15 minutes without moving. People were getting out of their cars. Everyone thought it was a wreck. Nope, no wreck. When we got into Sultan nothing but that traffic light.

This weekly Sunday debacle must really suck for those among us who like to regularly visit their cabin up Index way. grin.gif

A no-stopping bypass highway needs to be built. But noooo, all we can talk about is spending state and federal money on the most expensive option to replace the aging Seattle Viaduct.

Hwy 2 is one of the main reasons I lift ski at Baker (I live in Everett). Went up to stevens on MLK day this year cause baker was closed (too much snow). Hadn't been there in about 5 years cause every time I go it is a cluster F of traffic. Bottom line: pulled out of the parking lot at stevens on the way home and sat there for 2 hours, moved about a half mile in that time. Took about 4.5 hours to get to everett. No accident reported on the radio during that time, I don't know WTF was up? Won't be back up to stevens for probably another 5 years until I forget this last trip.