Slope Rage!

tivoli_mike

Full Report

STEAMBOAT SPRINGS - A 52-year-old man assaulted a teenage girl after a collision between the girl and the man's daughter, according to police.

Randal Berg of Littleton was arrested Sunday for the assault in which he reportedly punched the 16-year-old in the back and head.

The teenager told police she ran over Berg's 7-year-old daughter's skis with her snowboard and then the two fell to the ground. Berg saw his daughter on the ground and began attacking the snowboarder, according to Steamboat Springs Police Captain Joel Rae.

The snowboarder told police she was apologizing to the 7-year-old when Berg attacked her.

Police say Berg hit the girl repeatedly in the back of the head. The teen was wearing a helmet.

A group of witnesses intervened and separated Berg from the girl, police said. The witnesses also corroborated the girl's story, according to police.

After being separated from the snowboarder Berg launched into a tirade and threatened "to (expletive) kill" the snowboarder, police said.

The snowboarder was able to descend to the bottom of the mountain and walked away without serious injury.

Berg was taken to Routt County Jail and booked on charges of third-degree assault and disorderly conduct. He was released Monday on $1,000 bond. He is scheduled to appear in Routt County Court on Feb. 14.

The accident occurred near the base of the ski mountain, where Steamboat Springs police have jurisdiction.

Rae said he has never heard of such an incident.

"There are fights and misunderstandings, but never have I seen anything with that kind of rage in my law enforcement career," the captain said.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife rode a lift with a woman who's four-year old son was knocked into a coma after a collision like this.

I'm continuously amazed by the number of dumbasses that haul ass down groomers packed with scores of people, and quite a few kids. Must be because if you can ski fast down groomers you are X-Treme.

The dude's rage was way out of line, but I get kind of irked when I see people flying down packed groomers, narrowly missing the four and five year olds doing the "pizza-fries-pizza-fries" drill. It doesn't help that their skill-to-speed ratio is not terribly impressive either.

I was volunteering with a group of middle-schoolers at Snoqualmie on Friday when a couple of us stopped in the middle of a blue run to wait for others. We watched this dude-boarder for about 150 yds, come off the top, make a whobbily bee-line for us, and then head-first divot about ten feet upslope from us. Kinda like that buffalo scene in Dances with Wolves where the huge animal dies at the kid's feet.

The worst beating I have ever witnessed took place on a ski slope. A skier/boarder altercation escalated to the point where the skier was flat on his back and the boarder was administering great cave-man woodchopping swings with the edge of his board all the while yelling "FUCK You" (WHOP!) "FUCK You" (WHOP!) "FUCK You" (WHOP!)..........

I was a couple of hundred yards away riding up the lift. By the time various ski patrollers & such converged on the scene the protagonists had kissed, made up, and vanished into the night.

This was in the more earlier days of snowboarding when skiers far outnumbered boarders and often took advantage of supposed safety in numbers to get.......all snooty.