Weekend Rock, by David Whitelaw

mattp

I just got a copy of David Whitelaw's new guidebook, "Weekend Rock" (Mountaineers Press). It looks excellent!

The book presents climbs from 5.0 to 5.10 in a variety of settings, sport and trad, one to ten pitches, in western Washington and along the east slope, and includes Banks Lake and Vantage in central Washington. There are some completely new crags never before published, but mostly it repeats information previously available though in an easy-to-use and attractive format. Several cc.com regulars and a varietly of well known Washington climbers are featured in his excellent collection of photographs.

Way to go, Dave!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no arbitrary limit to 10 pitches. It just so happens that a couple of the longer crag climbs in the book are about 10 pitches, and there happen to be no crag climbs longer than that around here. The Grand Wall, last time I looked, is in BC not Washington.

So in other words it's an attempt to target the bumbly market segment that has no interest in climbing hard or long routes, but lots of money to spend?

That's lame. Why the slam? It's easy to play the nihilist on the internet, a lot harder to put a book together. He chose his focus, I'd imagine the book will be useful to many. "Climbers" may only be constrained to occasional weekend cragging, or may work half the year to travel and climb the other half. No one is better, or more "real". As far as grades, I'd imagine you didn't begin your climbing career by jumping on 5.11 . And where does the "lots of money to spend" come in? Are the readers of the book combining their "weekend rock" excursions with high end retail shopping sprees or something? I don't quite get it. If the book isn't for you, don't buy it and leave it at that.

Sorry for the rant everyone, I just got annoyed. Congratulations on your project, David, I hope it is well received!

Edited by crazy_t

Congratulations on your project, David, I hope it is well received!

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

This is a great book. David draws beautiful topos and his route descriptions are spot on. He also has a knack for choosing only the most handsome and sculpted specimens of manliness for his photo subjects. Bloated tadpole bellies need not apply!

Thanks for the hard work David!

So in other words it's an attempt to target the bumbly market segment that has no interest in climbing hard or long routes, but lots of money to spend?

Hey, it's a Mountaineers Book.

0898864232.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

0898867673.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

0898869846.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

So are most of the climbing guides in North America. Now take back yo' playa hatin' and give the local boy some props!

Best Rekognize!

Plus, "The Mountaineers" the publishing company is pretty much now entirely seperate from the climbing group "The Mountainears". Or so a little birdie told me.

Hey, it's a Mountaineers Book. Whadda ya expect?

As stated, it's clear that these people (this "bumbly segment") has A LOT of extra money to spend. And to boot, they have no interest in ultimately climbing larger or harder routes, they are simply a scourge subset of the population who wants to project 5.1s for decades at a time. Someone stop them, or at least put them to shame!

No one here has used a Mountaineers guidebook. One of the Beckeys guides, one of Nelson's? Of course not!

Edited by crazy_t

Great job on the guide Dave!

I think they hit the nail on the head with this one: an inexpensive book, with a select list of good accessible climbs that is comprehensive to most popular climbing areas in the state. The quality of this state-wide book is very high as Dave has probably personally climbed each and every route in it.

dru, if you could just STFU for us, that'd be great. instead, hows about you go write a climbing book so you can drop that incredible knowledge you have on us, and stop it with the player hating?

If anyone's a hater here it seems to me it is a guidebook author who thinks "Weekend Rock" doesn't include classics like the Davis-Holland, Facelift (isn't that a 10b now?), or Bo Derek. I think there is either condescending or deliberate targeting of the stereotypical "rich bumbly" to make a guidebook that stops at 10a. Seems like you're telling potential customers "This guidebook is only of interest to people who will never, ever, be able to climb 10b". Hence the WTF.

Not that this is confined to Washington. See

http://www.joshuatreetrad.com/

A guidebook that implies that "trad climbing" is limited to 5.9 and under. confused.gif