Viper Strike on Quarks?

dbb

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I suppose if the metal strip they provide doesn't fit something could be rigged.

that metal band is threaded for the screw that connects the Strike to the band. i think rigging something would be kind of challenging.

BUT...the Viper shaft circumfrence and shape is similar to the quark just above the handle, so it may work by just bending the band to fit.

That would be cool if you could get the strike on there... the way the trigger attaches you can only use it as a finger support and not as a mantle/upper grip position as the bolt piece on the back sticks out. Wazzu: have you tried that? Read about anyone doing that?

I heard BD was running low on strikes also...

And Dave: if you are looking to match up on the tool but spend the majority of your time on the lower hand rest consider just adding a few wraps of hockey tape... I got a roll at play it again sports in town for my monsters and that stuff stays sticky even in the pouring rain. It keeps your tools protected too nicks and cuts...

Nope, strikes don't fit onto the quark's shaft. The metal band isn't long enough... also, it seems like the plastic thing wouldn't sit so well on the narrow anterior part of the quark shaft. oh well, I guess I'll wait until Petzl makes somethiing.

John- thanks for the tip, I actually did just that a couple weeks ago!

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I was looking for some of the Grivel Sliders today in the Internet and came across it.

I added a Slider to my Quarks right at the top of the soft plastic handle. Took some effort to grind down the slider on the shaft side and file the bolt hole. Finally got it to bolt up tight, very tight. The slightly higher placement also allows you to use the hammer easily. It also gives more support to the hand or a finger than a trigger, with no worries on glove combinations, all that made it worth the effort of fitting for me.

aby.sized.jpg

I tried just about every possible trigger configuration with the quark. Both grivel triggers will fit on the quark, but the black will give you more options with where you want it.

I've tried doing the piano match on the trigger side, but you need to remove insulation from your gloves, climb with very thing gloves, or your hand just doesn't fit.

The solution I found was to use a hack saw to remove the trigger, flip it around, put the plastic screw guards on and use those as the second grip. Suprisingly, it feels very comfortable and is about as effective as the strike.

P2150335.JPG

P2150332.JPG

P2150334.JPG

FWIW the plastic shelf on both the slider and the trigger are the same little 2 piece plastic part. You can cut and contour the plastic quite a bit and come up with a fairly usable support for hand and finger instead of the square block you first bolt on. I used a dremel drum sander and emory paper to shape mine. It made a big difference on support and comfort for any grip (finger or full hand) by making the edges round, and the shelf deeper and wider. The metal width of he band limits how thin you can make it overall vertically and still retain the strength of the plastic shelf. You can still cut it down some and make it more comfortable as a one finger "trigger".

abz.sized.jpg

For anyone interested this is a great video showing details of Quarks and triggers and a few other tricks being used together on alpine terrain.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=wbQBKR36R2c&feature=related

• 1 year later...

For anyone interested this is a great video showing details of Quarks and triggers and a few other tricks being used together on alpine terrain.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=wbQBKR36R2c&feature=related

Good video. Can anyone explain the technique used at 7:00? Looks like he has some loops attached to the upper shaft of his tools and he hooks them rather than sticking the ice with his second tool. Looks like right after that he has a finger hooked in those same loops. Seems like you could grab those loops a buncha different ways which could really help on long routes.

Anyone ever used something like this?

I'm in the process of re-working my Quarks, want to add tape, sliders and possibly some of those loops.

Can anyone explain the technique used at 7:00? Looks like he has some loops attached to the upper shaft of his tools and he hooks them rather than sticking the ice with his second tool. Looks like right after that he has a finger hooked in those same loops. Seems like you could grab those loops a buncha different ways which could really help on long routes.

He is using older Quarks with attachment holes on the shaft in different places....slighty lower than the newest tools so you can get the required bigger loops. A sewn loop (sewn while on the tool) and taped on the inside is used and works great just as you saw and described. I found for steep water ice it wasn't a very useful tool. But for steep (70/80 or less) alpine ice it would be awesome. Chamonix boys so they see a lot of that kind of terrain.

A bolted high grip pretty much duplicates the ability to do it all except hang a pick in the loop to avoid a tool stack. In high dagger where these tools excel on moderte alpine terrain I suspect the loop was manly used to avoid dropping the tool while leashless. Umbilicals eliminate that need as well. I decided to stick with the umbilicals long term. The trigger he has added will do a real number on your index finger in cold weather...like tear a tendon off. Never a good idea to go full weight on the index finger which he is doing a lot. Remember this is a early video with Quarks (2003), the original tools (2000), and not using any of the Petzl factory bolted on grip supports and before umbilicals became common place. Stuff he is using are all Grivel parts modified to work on the Quark. But I'd like to be as cool as those guys obviously are!

Awesome video isn't it?

More here:

http://www.alpinist.com/doc/ALP06/climbing-note-constant

Two more good videos of awesome climbs for ideas on tool placements and use.

http://www.tvmountain.com/index.php?option=com_hwdvideoshare&task=viewvideo&Itemid=117&video_id=1110

Tool stacks @ 8:00 and on by the old school dude in the gaiters and his buddy while they are on the ribbon are great :)

http://www.tvmountain.com/index.php?option=com_hwdvideoshare&task=viewvideo&Itemid=117&video_id=272