anyone have one??

NYC007

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. I have a few hundred. Ok, so that's not that funny, but, hey, I'm still recovering from new years eve.

My name is graham williams. I own cilogear and make those packs. In response to your questions, as far as I can:

1) Who has them? Well, for the past year, not many people; we're a new company. There are about 20 of them living in Montana, Wyoming and Colorado. There are another twenty or so around Salt Lake City. There are a handful in California and a bunch in the North East. People like Kelly Cordes and his ilk have been using them and if you know Kelly, I'm sure he'd be happy to tell you why he thinks they're great bags.

2) "Unapoletic technical design". Hmm. That's a bit harder. Here's a go:

I looked at all the packs for climbers on the market and I wasn't too cycked on what I saw. I always ended up cutting off straps that were extraneous to my usage and wondering why the damn things were so heavy. I wanted total compression of the sides without zippers or velcro. I thought that different parts of a pack are exposed to different levels of abrasion and different loads, and should therefore have different strengths of material. Our goal in designing these packs wasn't to make something easy to manufacture, but to make something perfect to use. Or at least as close as possible. For example, the large worksack has 146 structural bar tacks. We use three different strengths of thread. I have told other folks in this industry this kind of detail and they want to puke: the average 60 liter pack has less than 20 bar tacks. Whenever I've talked to another company about their product, we get to the point where they're like, well, we had to make this change so we could make them or we had to make this change so we could market them to the whatever community. I haven't had to make those apologies yet. (and when i do, i'll change that tag line.)

Does that make any sense?

3) Unfortunately, it is more or less true that we built these packs from available fabric. Each of the packs uses 7 different materials: a Schoeller Dynamic for the places where loads touch your body, two weights of spectra/hi tenacity nylon (210 in the side panels, 500 in the high abrasion points), a nylon ripstop for the extension and the liner, and three different weights of Dimension-Polyant's VX series cloth (VX51 on bottom, VX42 on the crampon pouch, and VX21 on the side wings). Beyond the obvious business sense of keeping low inventories, I honestly can't afford to order over 5,000 yards of material every time I want to make some bags. The minimum dye lot for the pack cloths--the spectra and the VX stuff--is 800 yards. Please keep in mind that a pack uses at most .27 yards of those particular fabric, and often much less.

So i buy from the fabric manufacturer's stock programs, which are generally kinda slow and a bit unreliable. They much prefer to make 15,000 yards for Mr. Big than deal with my 1,500 yard order.

Any other questions? I'm happy to answer them either on this forum or via email... cilogear at gmail.com is the best for email.

BTW, if there is a Mr(s). Reviewer over here on CC, I'd be happy to supply a pack for them to test.

Qualified?

Shoot. I doubt I'm qualified to use them these days. Since I decided to make them, I got engaged, gained 23 pounds mostly of fat, and can't climb for crap. Now, I'm not saying I want to be north face, but i am definitely not going to be running a qualification camp to get to use these packs.

But that would be funny, wouldn't it? What kind of test first? bigdrink.gif?

Thanks for the positive feedback.

According to my model (turns to mirror: 'model? what model?'), I should be able to keep these prices going when i have more than just part time employees here in the states.

Most of the cost is in the sewing for sure. It's crazy whenever I think about how we made them. For the first production run i think it took 15 or 16 days to make 200 bags, and my production manager has been making packs and gore tex jackets and anything else for over 15 years. In the same factory, with the same crew, we made 300 technical fleece 6 pocket jackets in 4 days.

• 2 weeks later...

Hold on about four hours and I should have that fixed. I think you tried to email info@cilogear.com which I screwed up when I set up the site on my new host.

I use cilogear@gmail.com because, honestly, gmail is a far better solution for me than using my webhost's pop servers. I doubt that whidbey tried that email because I haven't gotten it. The info email address will be ciloinfo@gmail.com. It should be all ok by tonight.

• 1 month later...
I'm sure I'll use it for sport climbing when I get home.....

But mainly I just need it for work here. I need the pack for carrying things like this:

website7az.jpg

Argali lamb collaring from last spring, and my now deceased arcteryx pack

Yikes, that's scary!!

Brokeback Mtn II: The Camel Years