The "I've been climbing for x-years" thread

catbirdseat

So you hear people like RuMR all the time saying things like, "I've been climbing for 20 years", etc. with the implication that because of that you should accept whatever assertion they happen to be making. I submit that it has almost no bearing on the reliability of their opinions other than to show they were around when a particular event might have occurred. I mean, some people by climbing very intensely with a large variety of partners can in a short time acquire a great deal of knowledge, for example Distel and Layton. Others who climb only occasionally and always with the same partners may have many years of experience but end up with a very narrow view of what's the proper way to do things.

Shit, I think you need to deduct points when someones been doing it too long. Moi, for instance, at 33 some years of climbing, am starting to forget a hell of a lot of stuff I use to practice and train for as a pup. I think I'm even forgeting what I'm forgeting, thats how bad it is.

Bill

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Shit, I think you need to deduct points when someones been doing it too long. Moi, for instance, at 33 some years of climbing, am starting to forget a hell of a lot of stuff I use to practice and train for as a pup. I think I'm even forgeting what I'm forgeting, thats how bad it is.

Bill

Yes, it's an old saw, but you've probably forgotten more than I've ever learned. thumbs_up.gif

Others who climb only occasionally and always with the same partners may have many years of experience but end up with a very narrow view of what's the proper way to do things.

I would say CBS is correct on this point. I've been climbing off and on around here since the early nineties and had my peak just out of high school many years back. I would say that since I have pretty much climbed with a small group of people that I don't have the experience that I would really like to have. But I think that could be said for most any hobby. For instance, every guitar player I have ever met, no matter how good, always bashes themselves about how much they suck or whatnot. rockband.gif

I've been at it a while too (about the same as billco), but some of the things I learned should just as well be forgotten:

how to tie a swami belt

how to fall with a swami belt

how to readjust my organs after falling with a swami belt

how to dulfersitz rappel on 3/8" goldline

how to readjust my organs after said rappel

how to put cool knee patches on cord knickers

how to wear painter's pants and flatcap to be like hot Henry

how to use a 120' rope for rock climbing 150' routes

how to use soft iron pitons

how to climb with logging boots

how to climb with stiff (and decidedly unsticky) rock shoes

how to protect all climbs without cams