Yes Condi, there is a Santa Claus

Jim

“The United States does not transport, and has not transported detainees from one country to another for the purpose of interrogation using torture,” the secretary stressed.

Human-rights organizations and legal groups, both in the United States and abroad, have accused the United States of allowing a practice known as “rendition to torture,” in which suspects are taken to countries such as Egypt and Saudi Arabia where harsh interrogation methods are used.

Ms. Rice did say the United States has long participated in the movement of terror suspects between countries.

The reference to sovereignty implies that any European democracies that may have provided secret prisons did so willingly.

In Berlin, a government spokesman said Monday that Germany has a list of more than 400 overflights and landings by planes suspected of being used by the CIA about which it plans to ask Mr. Rice during her visit to the German capital

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen a couple of interviews on TV with the fellow who wrote the White House policy position on acceptable interrogation techniques. Basically, the definition of acceptable interrogation techniques includes anything that does not cause permanent organ failure or death. Anything that does cause permanent organ failure or death is deemed to be torture, and is not allowed.

So then it depends on what your definition of "organ" is. If fingernails are defined as "cartilage" rather than "organs", then it's OK to rip them out with pliers.

Lots of room for semantic games, and we all know how much Rummy loves semantic games.

In Berlin, a government spokesman said Monday that Germany has a list of more than 400 overflights and landings by planes suspected of being used by the CIA about which it plans to ask Mr. Rice during her visit to the German capital

I wonder how many overflights of the unknown variety the US has per year?

I mean WTF, what's going on when the US flies over these countries without restriction? And why the hell does Germany still have US bases on its soil?

And further(!), all you fools who even talk about the joke of US withdrawal from Iraq: It ain't gonna happen for years and years and years. It may be used as a campaign issue, but over a hundred bases are being built, with I think 8 of them being "super bases" meant to keep a permanent US presence in Iraq.

Do you think we'd take a chance at losing her after all this work? Hah! She's got our oil under her sands!

They built numerous bases in Nam and ended up leaving there. Besides we are looked upon as occupiers(Crusaders) in an Islamic country.Torture under any circumstances is wrong,and condoning it is just as reprehensible. As a former Marine I ask you this:if your bro or sis was caught is it cool for the enemy to torture them? Just bombard em w/ Eminem, or (as is suppose most of you folks are fr Sea/Tac) MixAlot. Oh by the way "a word to the thick soul sista I won't cuss or hit ya!

Peace

Being someone who practices 'interrogation' I have to say that sometimes what needs to be done, needs to be done. Not to say that I would practice 'harsh interrogations', however sometimes specific tactics are needed.........as some people will never bend or fall prey to your tactics.

In other words, they believe in what they have convinced themselves is the truth.

I've seen a couple of interviews on TV with the fellow who wrote the White House policy position on acceptable interrogation techniques. Basically, the definition of acceptable interrogation techniques includes anything that does not cause permanent organ failure or death. Anything that does cause permanent organ failure or death is deemed to be torture, and is not allowed.

So then it depends on what your definition of "organ" is. If fingernails are defined as "cartilage" rather than "organs", then it's OK to rip them out with pliers.

Lots of room for semantic games, and we all know how much Rummy loves semantic games.

nails are not an organ. skin is. it doesn't matter what "your" definition is, we don't get to rewrite the dictionary at will. Semantics are not a game, they are the meanings of words. that said; I would venture a guess that most people would tend to agree that we should not be exempt from the generally agreed upon conventions that most decent countries are expected to follow. Those conventions explicitly exclude torture as a reasonable way to treat a POW. On this topic, John McCain is the man.