Why Are We Rich and White?

Blake

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we left out the "Overwhelmingly male" part of the equation as well. Hopefully someone will chime in on the gender-disparity in climbing as a clear manifestation society's tendency to blah, blah, blah, blah, victimhood, blah, sexism, blah, blah, patriarchy, blah, blah, etc, etc, etc.

Interesting theory, Dumb, but interesting. Where do you find this crap, really?

Women are biologically programmed to protect offspring, which involves staying alive. Men are biologically programmed to spread the seed and procreate. Perhaps there is something about this that makes more men climb that women?

I think we left out the "Overwhelmingly male" part of the equation as well. Hopefully someone will chime in on the gender-disparity in climbing as a clear manifestation society's tendency to blah, blah, blah, blah, victimhood, blah, sexism, blah, blah, patriarchy, blah, blah, etc, etc, etc.

Interesting theory, Dumb, but interesting. Where do you find this crap, really?

Women are biologically programmed to protect offspring, which involves staying alive. Men are biologically programmed to spread the seed and procreate. Perhaps there is something about this that makes more men climb that women?

We find lots of hot chicks to knock up in the mountains?

There was an article in Outside on the subject of blacks in the outdoors back a couple years ago. The thesis was that it's not just economics that hold blacks back from outdoor sports/hobbies. The article was written by a black dude into outdoor activities.

Utterly anecdotal, but one of the ladies my wife works with is african american, grew up in the deep south and thinks were fucking nuts, and has absolutely no desire to do something as stupid as climbing ice covered volcanoes. Her family also thinks were fucking nuts. I agree with her so it doesn't bother me too much smile.gif

The northwest doesn't seem to be that much of a dirt bag climber locale, like, for example, Yosemite or S. Cal. Places like Marblemount or Leavenworth would be hard to hang out at, on the cheap, year round and why would you want to? So you have to have some amount of $ to be here and that usually takes a job no matter what you do in your spare time, be it golf or climbing. Unless you are really short on dough and you are here, in which case you probably wouldn't pursue either of those. An exception is students who may be broke but are going in debt to be paid back later with a lucrative career using their hard earned degree in, say, Philosophy. If the career doesn't work out they flee their collection agencies and become dirt bag climbers in Yosemite, not here.

Maybe it is a genetic thing that the white male is predisposed for more physical challenges.

are you any relation to Al Campanis?

I will give you a hint! I am still, yes, STILL, P.O.ed about about the baseball strike! I refuse to give no money to that MLB gang.

One side note is that the prosperous and educated bit doesn't explain the relative absence of asians or east indians in the mountains...

I have never been to the Mexican volcanoes. What would you say the representation of the locals are on those volcanic peaks?

I remember on Aconcagua about 1/2 the folk were from the US or Europe.

There are currently more Chinese rock climbers than American rock climbers. I heard that 2 million Chinese now climb.

Ever read the Himalayan Journal? Seems like there are lots of Indian climbers too. Just they are bagging 6000m peaks in the Himal instead of sending off-ringlock splitters at the Crick.

I suspect that if I went kayaking in Hudson Bay my comments about never seeing any eskimos out boating would no longer apply either.

And then there's going to S. America and seeing a whole bunch of Europeans and a few Americans, but not many people from the local area rolleyes.gif