Light simple softshell pants - any ideas?

snoboy

I have abused my MEC Ferrata tight for everything from MTB to ski touring, but they are really starting to show the wear. Any body suggest something similar?

Deal breakers:

-Must be simple.

-Thigh pockets suck.

-Need to fit over T1 boot cuff.

-Schoeller or tweave, not fussy.

Best so far: Arcteryx Switchback or Gamma AR.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also have two pair and thumbs_up.gif Plus they ditched to stupid stretchy belt thing that they used of have.

Does anyone have any slick tricks for getting the fuzzy stuff off soft shell stuff? The pants are in good condition but the knees are covered in nylon fuzz from getting dragged up cracks.

Oddly enough, Nike has a great pair here. $70.

I picked up a pair from the used bin at Second Ascent last spring, and I've never used my Mistrals since then. These pants are much lighter & have no bullshit features (thigh pockets). I don't care much for Nike, but I really like these pants.

Anybody want to buy a used pair of Mistrals?

Check out Beyond Fleece

www.beyondfleece.com

Totally custom, so thay you can have whatever you want in pockets, etc. The steel pant sounds like the ticket for what you want. You can't beat the fit, because the garment is made to your measurements. And.... they come in any color you want as long as it's black.

I got a Cold Fusion jacket from them and am totally stoked with the fit, quality, and service. thumbs_up.gif

Patagonia Talus... but they are kinda hard to find now i think.

I have a pair of the 'gucci French Roast pants, which I believe replaced the Talus. I like 'em a lot . . . super light and seem to be wearing well.

Neither of these will fit over a T1 boot cuff, just FYI.

Well I guess you could suck it up and strap on some crocs Mountie-style bwaaha! Check out Beyond Fleece out of Eugene, OR. Get 'em before they get Cloudveil'ized, Arcteyeyeyeyx'ized, Karhu'ized, etc etc.

I have the Mammut Zupo Pant. I don't know if it is still being made or not (I bought mine a year and a half ago.) I've used them for everything and they've always come through shining. They do have a thigh pocket, but will easily fit a T1 cuff, and have a velcro strap to cinch things down. You can also through suspenders or a belt (OR BOTH) on. They are scholler dryskin, I think. Minimally, they are scholler. Price is pretty good on them too.

Good Luck

• 1 year later...

Well, it' an old thread, but this is how I buy stuff, takes me forever. :D

I ended up with the OR Exos Pant.

It has thigh pockets, but they are super low profile. The cuff has a zipper, so it will fit my boots (Lasers now, not T1s) and it is made from stretch Cordura.

I'm really liking some of OR's new stuff. Probably going to pick up a pair of Extravert gloves next season - finally a tech glove with a wool liner!