Hey Old Fogies

sexual_chocolate

Numbers & News: Another B for Christof

8b+ by 59-year-old 2005-11-15

Climbing.com reports that Lee Sheftel (59) has done The whole shot, 8b+ in Maple Canyon. This should be a new world record and human beeings now have proven to be on their maximum climbing peak for 48 years, 11 (Adam Ondra) to 59.

source

I think the biggest issue is motivation and not listening to the cultural conditioning that says "too old".

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it proves old farts who had it can keep it. What about old farts who never had it in the first place?

Defeatist thinking!

You start where you're at, and if you are so driven, well then drive!

Do you have a goal in climbing? Let's here it, and WE'LL judge if it's possible! yelrotflmao.gif

(No seriously, do you have a goal? Climbing can be super-fun, even with goals in mind!)

No, it proves that not just 11-year old girls, but 59-year olds can climb rings around RuMR.

and...by the associative property, since i can destroy you, they also climb rings around you as well... wave.gif

They're beating you at your game. How many alpine climbs have they done? tongue.gif

So it proves old farts who had it can keep it. What about old farts who never had it in the first place?

Defeatist thinking!

You start where you're at, and if you are so driven, well then drive!

Do you have a goal in climbing? Let's here it, and WE'LL judge if it's possible! yelrotflmao.gif

(No seriously, do you have a goal? Climbing can be super-fun, even with goals in mind!)

My goal is to lead 5.11 trad. My immediate goal is to reach 5.10c by next summer.

Examples to follow:

- Ron Kauk: sent .14b on his 42nd birthday

- Italian dude who sent .14-something in his 50s or 60s (it was in the mags within the last year--somebody must remember this fella, cranking limestone roof routes)

- That Cascades guy, Frank Beckley or something? He's way old, and he still climbs stuff. Well, mostly hill-slogging stuff; probably wouldn't catch him cranking at the Mudpile, but still...

- Todd Skinner--still sporting the embarrassing do-rag, it's true, but he's also still climbing .13+, so maybe there's something to the fashion choices? Hmm...

- Chris Sharma is now well over twenty years old, and he's climbing harder than ever. Shit, how much more inspiring does it get?

I'm 53 and the only real limitation as you age is damaged joints and tendons; treat those nicely and you can climb and climb hard pretty much forever. My left shoulder has been declared defunct and it limits me to sub-.12 when I'm in shape. Though it also depends on the type of rock/route. Got up an .11d a couple of weeks ago in Southern Illinois, but it was back in my "homeland" on rock I grew up on, and couldn't likely run out to Smith and pull down .11d tomorrow.

"Retired" here on this forum is in his 50's and still pulling down pretty monsterously doing Freeblast in under 5 hours and WFLT in under 9 hours a few weeks back. So don't abuse those joints too badly now, stay off straight arms as much as possible, and don't use it all up too soon.