I can see clearly now

olyclimber

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been in full rubber jacket mode for three days this week. Not goretex(fuck that yuppy shit) I'm talking Helly Hansen.

I doubt anybody who actually works outside relies on goretex. I actually wonder why so many climbers do. Uniroyal used to make some kickin rain gear that was a little lighter than Helly Hansen but tough as hell.

I doubt anybody who actually works outside relies on goretex.

Except ski patrollers, and avy techs, and guides, and well, a few other people I can think of... if you call that work. wink.gif I always used heavy rubber or nylon for real work.

Most outdoor work involves getting dirty and exposure to gas and oil. Tex wont stand up to that kind of treatment.

I've always wanted to try whatever that raingear that's canvas impregnated with wax. Cotton is the fabric of the future after all.

If it is raining, your goretex doesn't breath anyway (wet cloth does not breather because the water itself is an impermeable membrane). For snow and wind and light rain, goretex is good. For real rain, when you won't be able to get out of it, take the real thing.

I doubt anybody who actually works outside relies on goretex.

Except ski patrollers, and avy techs, and guides, and well, a few other people I can think of... if you call that work.

Bicycle couriers

I just used light treated nylon when I was pedalling for a living - couldn't afford the good stuff.

As a field ecologist gtex is ok for for some things (tundra walking, stationary bird surveys, but most of the time you're brush bustin' so he rubberized stuff is best. And if it gets impailed on a beaver-chewed spike you can repair it with neoprene. bigdrink.gif