just a question

james_e

To any very experienced skiers that decided to make the switch to snowboarding, a couple questions.

1) What made you decide to make the switch? Was it boredom of skiing? Did you just want to try something new?

2) Overall, which do you like more? Can you really get the same feelings and experiences from snowboarding that you did from skiing?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1) I took up snowboarding for a few seasons because my son (who was 10 at the time) wanted to try it. He got very good and I stayed mediocre.

2) I have a lot more fun on skis because of the varied terrain that I can handle. I only like snowboarding in pow with no/few moguls.

I DH skied for about 7 years, switched to snowboarding and have been doing that for 15 years. I picked up tele skiing about 4 years ago and now switch back and forth between tele and the board.

The first switch came from boredom. I think it is pretty easy to pick snowboarding up, there is a fast learning curve, but just like anything - it takes a loong time to really rip.

I picked up tele to try something new in the backcountry - I love it for the challenge and the feel of the body mechanics, but I feel like it is going to be a long time until I am an expert.

As far as comparisons - yes, you definitely can get the same feelings from boarding as from skiing. In my opinion (take it for what its worth) I like the flow of boarding more - feels a lot more natural and is far superior to skiing in the deep powder. You get more float, esp. in broken powder.

The disadvantages to boarding are mobility in the backcountry, and difficulty in the flats.

My advice to anyone learning to board is to stay OFF the bunny hill - you will only learn when you have an actual mid-angle slope. That and do NOT lean back. Your weight should always be forward or centered. Most common learning mistake.

IMHO, of course.

I skied for 15 years before I switched to snow boarding. It's been 8 years since I have been on a pair of skis.

I switched because the snowboarders looked like they were having more fun to me. Also, the flow of the movement on a snowboard looked much smoother, which it is. The single-board set-up was also appealing to me, and I almost tried monoboarding. Glad I didn't.

I am a powderhound at Baker, steep and deep is the best for boarding. Be prepared for up to 3 days of hell, unless you skateboard.

To any very experienced skiers that decided to make the switch to snowboarding, a couple questions.

1) What made you decide to make the switch? Was it boredom of skiing? Did you just want to try something new?

2) Overall, which do you like more? Can you really get the same feelings and experiences from snowboarding that you did from skiing?

I took up boarding 2 years ago, but I don't remember why, other than it wasn't because I found skiing boring. I think I saw movies of people boarding down steep powder and that's what did it for me. I prefer it to skiing in powder, even on flattish stuff. It's a different feeling for sure.

At a resort, I much prefer skiing. I hate snowboarding on bumpy snow. Boarding is all about surfing and floating for me.

I ski/board about 50/50 now, mainly skiing in spring when the snow is firmer and bigger tours are the objective.