Weissbeer

Stefan

Finally had one yesterday for a long time (2 years) in Renton at the Whistle Stop Alehouse...but it was in a bottle.

The bartender says their budget only allows them to order three kegs once every 3 or 4 months...and then the beer is out within 3 days. Hence, I had a bottle.

Does anyone know why this popular type of beer in Southern Germany is not even attempted to be made by local craft breweries? It is not the most popular type of beer, but it is a popular one nonetheless. And I thought that since it was semipopular in Southern Germany, at least some craft breweries would try it here for on tap pleasures.

And no, it is NOT the same as Hefeweizen.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've not heard of it. Describe it please.

It is a beer that has a very heavy head on it when poured. It is traditionally served in the long tall and shapely glass (usually 20oz size).

It has has extreme aftertaste that I find appealing. The taste is very strong. People do associate it with Hefeweizens, and it is usually unfiltered. You have to try it to experience it, because it is unlike ales, stouts, lagers, and hefewiezens.

I would say in Germany from most popular to least the style of beer goes 1)lager (which they call pilz), 2) ales, 3) weissbeers, 4) and then everything else.

Hefeweizen is a type of Weissbier, or wheat beer. The Bavarian Wiessbier typically has much more aroma to it and taste much different then American Hefeweizens, but I'm not sure why. They also have a Weissbier Dunkle which is a malty but seems to lack the depth of something like a Dopplebock.

it is a bit of a specialty item even in southern germany where it originates. i think it is fairly difficult to make, and may have some shelf life issues as i vaguely recall. the proper way to serve it is in a tall, thin, tapering glass made specially for the purpose. anything out of a bottle is what guinness in a can is to the real thing. i remember it being really light and bubbly, like a champagne of beers.

given it's complexity i would guess brewers feel if you aren't going to make it right why make it at all, especially since not many people around here would know a good weissbeer from a 'pale' imitation. i don't think i've ever had a beer in the US quite like the pilsner you'll get at any roadside tavern in bavaria. i'm not saying local brews are bad, i love them, just different.

Shultzy's on the Ave has a couple traditional Weissbiers on tap right now, one from Germany and an Uber Weiss brewed locally by Baron that is pretty damn good. They rotate their taps pretty quickly so hurry on in there. BTW the beer selection they have there is always top notch.

I think you're talking about a Berliner Weisse, no?

I have never had a Berliner Weisse. That wikepedia reference says it is made exclusively in Berlin. The beer I am talking about is mainly made in southern Germany and then they distribute it throughout the region. But I am sure it is made in other parts of Europe too. I just don't know why it is made here by craft breweries, but it could be for the various reasons given in previous posts.

Thanks everybody for giving me tips on locations!

To add some information to this issue, Weissbier is the same as Hefeweizen. Whereas Weissbier is the common name in Bavaria, people in Northern Germany would not understand you. You have to order a Hefeweizen there. Berliner Weisse is very different. It comes in funny colors, such as red or green and I think it's mainly enjoyed by tourists. Some of the more popular Weissbiere are, Schneider Weisse, Erdinger Weissbier and Franziskaner Hefeweizen. Augustiner Weissbier should be good too. Weissbier (or "Weizerl", also "Weizen") is exclusively served in those 0.5 liter glasses people described before. You pour it in very gently, with the glass at a 30-40 degree angle. Leave about an inch of beer in the bottle and then shake it to dissolve all the yeast that's on the bottom. Put that in too. If you mix Weissbier with lemon lemonade, such as sprite, it's called "Russ'n" (bavarian for a Russian). It's very refreshing and "sueffig" in summer and mostly enjoyed in beergardes in 1 liter steins. When you do the same with a Helles, the most common beer in Bavaria, it's called "Radler" (Biker). But this has nothing to do with Weissbier now.

515248-weizen.jpg.7ef70f6f1f430c67b0a637a13f16e5cc.jpg

Edited by armin

To add some information to this issue, Weissbier is the same as Hefeweizen. Whereas Weissbier is the common name in Bavaria, people in Northern Germany would not understand you. You have to order a Hefeweizen there. Berliner Weisse is very different. It comes in funny colors, such as red or green and I think it's mainly enjoyed by tourists. Some of the more popular Weissbiere are, Schneider Weisse, Erdinger Weissbier and Franziskaner Hefeweizen. Augustiner Weissbier should be good too. Weissbier (or "Weizerl", also "Weizen") is exclusively served in those 0.5 liter glasses people described before. You pour it in very gently, with the glass at a 30-40 degree angle. Leave about an inch of beer in the bottle and then shake it to dissolve all the yeast that's on the bottom. Put that in too. If you mix Weissbier with lemon lemonade, such as sprite, it's called "Russ'n" (bavarian for a Russian). It's very refreshing and "sueffig" in summer and mostly enjoyed in beergardes in 1 liter steins. When you do the same with a Helles, the most common beer in Bavaria, it's called "Radler" (Biker). But this has nothing to do with Weissbier now.

Thank you for informing that. I guess the Weissbeer in Germany is then comparable to our Hefeweizens here. But I distincly notice a very strong aftertaste with the Weissbeer. Very strong and very different from the Hefeweizen. I believe Erdinger was the most popular bottled Weissbeer I saw, but each little town had their own specialty brewery for which they were proud.