Treehouses

lancegranite

Anybody here a fan of treehouses?

I have been obsessed with building a treehouse for years.

506799-home_pix.jpg

There is suprisingly few restrictions on their construction in Snohomish county, according to the nice people I talked to at the assessors office.

You can build a structure under 200 square feet with no permits, no heat or plumbing though, that is where a structure turns into a residence.

506799-home_pix.jpg.31be24061fc94f8fde69d904abcb5cf5.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There was a company here that built them for people a while back. They used steel bands around the trunk of the tree as a "foundation" and then built from there. They didn't harm the tree at all. I saw a program on the tv about a guy that lived in one for years and while they were making the program the banding exploded and the tree house came tumbling down. The tree had grown in diameter over the years and out grew the banding. It was a beautiful house though.

Bands don't sound like a very good idea. You'd be better off with rods that are placed into the tree with enough space that the tree can grow around the rods for years before it pushes against the structure.

NCascademtns built a freestanding building that is two stories tall. It's about 10 ft square. The lower story is storage for tools. The upper story is a loft for his kids to play. The back wall is an outdoor climbing wall.

There was a company here that built them for people a while back. They used steel bands around the trunk of the tree as a "foundation" and then built from there. They didn't harm the tree at all. I saw a program on the tv about a guy that lived in one for years and while they were making the program the banding exploded and the tree house came tumbling down. The tree had grown in diameter over the years and out grew the banding. It was a beautiful house though.

I've gotta run off and kill a tree soon, so I don't have time for a long answer, but putting bands around the trunk of a tree is not a way to do, "no harm," to the tree. In fact any tree house is going to do something bad to the tree however there are ways to minimize the dammage. I think CBS was close to the right aproach.

Anyway I've gotta run and perform my job as the Dr Kevorkian(sp?) to this maple.

My girlfriend stayed here with her family years ago, she said it was really cool. It's in Southern Oregon, and we're planning on heading down there for a weekend in the spring sometime. Her dad said the guy that runs the place is definitely an interesting fellow.

That looks so cool!