SEWS: Is this bolt new?

skykilo

On the South Arete yesterday, all the old tat was gone and there was one brand new sling on select trees all along the route. Bravo.

Additionally, there was a bolt to protect the hand traverse that I hadn't noticed the two times I've been there before. Was the bolt there previously? It looked shiny new. It seems a bit silly to put a bolt there to me, but what do I know? Just to refresh people's memories, pictures of the hand traverse and the bolt follow...

496916-HandTraverse.jpg

496916-HandTraverse.jpg.f965944870f50f2e2badf583ddb15e2c.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure when the bolt was placed, but it's been there for at least 4 years. I believe it's been hammered flat at least once. blush.gif

Cool factoid: I once watched a mountain goat send that "hand traverse" in high style.

Good times. I watched a goat eat the gravel I pissed on. It took everything I had not to yell, "You want fries with that?" to it. A rare instance of self-control.

Tat, tat, tat... no, I left the single strands of brand-new webbing since that seemed like a tastefully-performed community service (for the hordes of people who need to rap the whole way down the South Arete confused.gif). But nevertheless the temptation was there, my man. That was a lot of pretty, shiny tat. I was fondling the tat, fresh nylon so smooth it made my synapses surge but NO! I resisted the devil's directive.

I could hear a voice in my head, 'Sky, come to the dark side of the booty!' cantfocus.gif

That's part of the reason why I asked...

I took my Dad there for a first 'alpine' climb a few weeks ago and we got to the base of the route just behind a party of, say about 8, Mounties. This lady looks at me and says, "Do you know what you've just done? You're stuck behind THE MOUNTIES!" It was pretty funny; she had a sense of humor about it.

So I sat there with my pops and waited for them to get most of the way up the route. It was fun telling him about all these cool niners we could see that just got skied.rolleyes.gif We simuled most of it, caught them on the summit, then descended before them... no great Mountie inconvenience at all, really.

BUT they left a fixed rope across that spot, and I didn't notice it clipped to any bolt. Surely they would have clipped the bolt if it was there? Maybe this bolt has came and went??? Is there a bolt in a superposition of states on SEWS, oscillating between being there and not being there? mushsmile.gif

Tat, tat, tat... no, I left the single strands of brand-new webbing since that seemed like a tastefully-performed community service (for the hordes of people who need to rap the whole way down the South Arete confused.gif). But nevertheless the temptation was there, my man. That was a lot of pretty, shiny tat. I was fondling the tat, fresh nylon so smooth it made my synapses surge but NO! I resisted the devil's directive.

I could hear a voice in my head, 'Sky, come to the dark side of the booty!' cantfocus.gif

You should never feel bad about cleaning garbage from the mountains.

Plus, the people who rap the S Arete usually carry reams of 1" tubular or cord on their harnesses anyway.