50,000 captured/killed....

Peter_Puget

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter, you have a clue what the difference is between the full employment rate and unadjusted unemployment rate? No, of course not. I'll help you out with a few basics. After 18 months of no work you are considered to be no longer looking for work. Bad economies often send people back to school. The list goes on...go do some research. The economy is way weaker than in the late 90s, no longer how you slice it. The fact is we hit a natural down and your fucking idol lowered taxes instead of worried about job growth and stimulus. The result is what we have now: an economy worse than it would have been. It isn't all his fault, natural cycles occur, but he sure made it worse. You are fucking clueless.

Peter, you have a clue what the difference is between the full employment rate and unadjusted unemployment rate? No, of course not. I'll help you out with a few basics. After 18 months of no work you are considered to be no longer looking for work. Bad economies often send people back to school. The list goes on...go do some research. The economy is way weaker than in the late 90s, no longer how you slice it. The fact is we hit a natural down and your fucking idol lowered taxes instead of worried about job growth and stimulus. The result is what we have now: an economy worse than it would have been. It isn't all his fault, natural cycles occur, but he sure made it worse. You are fucking clueless.

Yikes! Fucking clueless eh? For those interested check out the dates of the last recessions and then how many months we are into the current recovery...and then figure out just how the late 90s relate to my post. confused.gif

yelrotflmao.gif

Go Josh GO!

Hmm er...try maybe the BLS. Hard one there!

You've ceased to read any links posted by those opposing your viewpoints; I'm not sure why you expect anyone to go to extra effort to research your data and discredit you.

I'm still curious what your point was with the 50k insurgents number; you've yet to clarify.

Hmm er...try maybe the BLS. Hard one there!

You've ceased to read any links posted by those opposing your viewpoints; I'm not sure why you expect anyone to go to extra effort to research your data and discredit you.

I'm still curious what your point was with the 50k insurgents number; you've yet to clarify.

Well just how do you know I have ceased doing anything? On this thread no links have been posted.

Alas...arguing with you is pointless. Point blank...more people were better off 5 years ago then they are now. End of story. Think what you want. I've got better things to do than shout at somebody as receptive to his party's ineptitude, and intelligent as, a brick wall - such as packing to go climbing. bigdrink.gif

Ya I am an idiot. cantfocus.gif

Using the Business Cycle to Make Meaningful Comparisons

A common occurrence in the dissemination of economic conditions is the comparison of one phase of the business cycle to a different phase; for example, an economic analyst may compare the employment growth in the recovery phase of the cycle to employment growth in the boom phase. But because each phase is producing different outcomes, this is a meaningless comparison.

During the recovery period, the economy is building up, or accelerating, to previous peak levels. The economy at this phase may or may not have had a rough or slow start, but its objective is to gear up to pre-recession levels. (The recovery phase is like an automobile accelerating from 0 to 60 MPH.) On the other hand, the boom phase signifies an economy that has reached pre-recession levels and is reaping the rewards of an economy that, although may have struggled to reach these pre-recession levels, is now on a steady course. (The boom phase may be likened to the auto that has already struggled to get up to speed and is now cruising at 60 MPH.)

Thus, comparing the recovery phase to the boom phase of an economy is like comparing the gas efficiency of one car while it is accelerating from 0 to 60 MPH to the efficiency of another when it is already cruising at 60 MPH. Neither comparison provides useful information

link

Links seem important here so I made a quick search looking for this info. If this source doesn't do it for you I know there are lots of other saying the same thing.

Joshk one word: Paxil! cool.gif

Josh doesn't like people with whom he disagrees. He is unable to comprehend that someone would hold an opposite view, therefore is incapable of properly debating (much less proper spelling) and immediately resorts to insults and name calling. I'll give PP credit! He doesn't get down in the mud with junior. High ground all the way. I prefer to throw it back at young idiots like Josh. the_finger.gifmoon.gif

Interesting how a "discussion" that touches, albeit lightly, on an issue of human compassion/cruelty (i.e., the death toll in Iraq; don't forget: we didn't actually have a reason to invade in the first place) changes so quickly to talk about so-called economic prosperity. Nice attempt to defend the conservative idealogues who are helping to make this country hell for the sane. Also: how can you be climbers and also support ANY political regime with an undeniably harmful agenda? Shouldn't you be helping to mine your local crags and mountains for traces of uranium/granite blocks for your fucking retaining walls? FYI ("For Your Information") an apparent rise in the economy is not necessarily a barometer for positive social change, although that doesn't matter if you buy into the status quo in the first place.

Edited by soulreaper

Josh doesn't like people with whom he disagrees. He is unable to comprehend that someone would hold an opposite view, therefore is incapable of properly debating (much less proper spelling) and immediately resorts to insults and name calling. I'll give PP credit! He doesn't get down in the mud with junior. High ground all the way. I prefer to throw it back at young idiots like Josh. the_finger.gifmoon.gif

FW - He is all over the place. I would note that my statistics were meant only to illustrate a good thing that has happened in the past five years. Undeniably the early-mid 90s recovery was good. My intention was to show two things together! Josh for some reason brought in the late 90's. Go figure.

Interesting how a "discussion" that touches, albeit lightly, on an issue of human compassion/cruelty (i.e., the death toll in Iraq; don't forget: we didn't actually have a reason to invade in the first place) changes so quickly to talk about so-called economic prosperity. Nice attempt to defend the conservative idealogues who are helping to make this country hell for the sane. Also: how can you be climbers and also support ANY political regime with an undeniably harmful agenda? Shouldn't you be helping to mine your local crags and mountains for traces of uranium/granite blocks for your fucking retaining walls? FYI ("For Your Information") an apparent rise in the economy is not necessarily a barometer for positive social change, although that doesn't matter if you buy into the status quo in the first place.

Soulreaper your point is interesting I however did not bring the economy into the argument Joshk did. (See below) I merely responded to his question. Oddly he responded by bringing up the late 90s. Your point regarding indicators of prosperity not really being meaningful is comletely true in many cases and is a viewpoint I am sympathetic to. Take for example Joshk's late 90's example of being better off. True unemployment was lower, the bourses were hopping and yet...we were speeding towards a cliff. The bubble was about to break. This JoshK calls the better times. cantfocus.gif

PP, as I have said before you don't even bother to argue a point with your posts. You simply come on and PLOP a right wing turd and leave it at that. My responses are not meant to be meaningful arguments. I gave up on debating with your type long ago cause you just don't get it. I'd rather just tell you to shut the fuck up, despite it accomplishing nothing. Are you too stupid to just open your eyes and admit that not only has this debacle in Iraq been a failure but that our domestic situation has been in steady decline for 5 years? Open your fucking eyes and point out one thing that has been accomplished at home or abroad. Oh, and please think of these yourself rather than dropping blog turds.

bigdrink.gif

Easy there, big boy. I think you have established a pretty consistent pattern of personally attacking those with whom you disagree when they've pointed out you made a factual error or when they are starting to draw you out in an argument.

You are the king of personal attacks when someone disagrees with you. wazzup.gif

Easy there, big boy. I think you have established a pretty consistent pattern of personally attacking those with whom you disagree when they've pointed out you made a factual error or when they are starting to draw you out in an argument.

Only when they attack first, as you so often do. Your tactics are altogether different. Slimier, for certain. Let's not indulge this time.

AK; it's time you got back to polishing Matt's boots. Tick tock!

"Open your fucking eyes and point out one thing that has been accomplished at home or abroad."

He did: 50,000+ dead in Iraq.

Well actually two things. The other being a set of flawed, disaggregated statistics that is supposed to suggest that dogshit tastes good. mushsmile.gif

I can't help but notice no one commented on this well-stated direct challenge.

"Open your fucking eyes and point out one thing that has been accomplished at home or abroad."

CAFTA, as of Tuesday.

If you want to call it an accomplishment, fine. Here's part of CAFTA I don't like (from Wikipedia):

"CAFTA also faces opposition due to provisions outlining "test data exclusivity" for pharmaceuticals. This provision applies when a pharmaceutical company submits test data to a regulatory agency to prove that its medicine is safe and effective. Test data exclusivity would forbid other, smaller companies from reusing this test data to create low-cost, generic versions of the drug. Producing test data is expensive, and smaller companies generally require the reuse of test data to produce low-cost, generic medications. In practice, "test data exclusivity" may mean that companies based in rich countries would hold an effective market monopoly on various medicines, such as those used to treat AIDS, malaria, and tuberculosis. Critics charge (PDF) that this provision would prevent many poor people from receiving life-saving medications."

What this means is that testing will have to be done over and over again, something which isn't required in THIS country. There is no need to repeat acute toxicity testing on a generic drug. All you should have to show is that your version of the drug is as pure or more pure than the name brand drug.

comparing last recovery to this one:

Unemployment rate

Prior recovery: 5.8%

This recovery: 5.0%

Long term unemployment rate (15+ weeks)

prior: 2.25%, which is 40% more than

this: 1.58%

average real weekly earnings from pre-recession high

prior: -1.9%

this: +0.25%

let's unspin the above:

"the only education group that experienced wage gains was the group where workers had been to graduate school. All other groups — workers with less than a high school education, with a high school education, with some college, or with a college degree — experienced either flat or falling wages" [...] The net result has been that among most workers wages are now failing to keep pace with inflation

"Over the course of 2004, job growth fell 1.4 million short of the amount that would be typical for a recovery". [...] The average size of the labor force in 2004 was only 0.6 percent larger than it averaged in 2003. This represents the slowest rate of labor force growth since 1991."

"Due to the relatively modest amount of job creation, long-term unemployment levels remained exceptionally high, with the number of unemployed individuals exhausting their regular state, unemployment benefits and not receiving additional aid hitting a record level of 3.5 million. [...] The long-term unemployed have been more than one in five of the unemployed for 27 straight months, an unprecedented development in the post-WWII period."

"Also, in 2004, some 3.5 million individuals used up all their regular unemployment benefits before they found a new job, and did not qualify for additional federal aid. For some period of time, they thus went without either a paycheck or an unemployment check. This level of unmet need was larger than during any other year on record, with data going back to 1973."

"The economic growth that has occurred has flowed to corporate profits to a degree unseen in the post-World War II period, leaving relatively little for compensation.[8] These economic conditions stand in stark contrast to those that prevailed at the end of the last business cycle, where full employment ensured that the benefits of the growing economy lifted the living standards of working families.

http://www.cbpp.org/2-16-05ui.htm