Alpine cooking & backcountry recipes...Post yours!

Kraken

Sure, that 12 for a dollar Top Ramen is great and all...I mean, Lime Shrimp and Teriyaki Chicken flavoring packets are hard to beat.

But...sometimes we need a little variety while cooking behind a sheltered rock at 10,500 feet or playing chef 50 miles from the trailhead.

I figured it would be nice to have a thread where people could submit recipes or methods for cooking while out in the wilderness.

Try to keep in mind that the recipe should also be efficient (for weight of food, type of food, fuel efficiency, time, etc). Also remember that it may be used at altitude, so freshness and weight are a big factor!

Submit your own recipes or ones you have found that you like.

Here is one that I have yet to try, but really want to.

(Taken from Alpine Ascents' website)

Mountain Pizza

Ingredients

Boboli pizza – 1 personal sized pizza crust that is small enough to fit inside your cook pot

Pizza sauce – usually comes with the pizza crust but you can use an instant pesto sauce.

1 shallot/onion and/or 1 mushroom

4 or 5 pieces of pepperoni

One stick string cheese

Directions

Put the pizza sauce on the crust. Thinly slice the onion, mushroom, pepperoni and cheese, then layer the ingredients on top of the sauce. Place the pizza in your cook pot with butter in the pot if you have any. Cover with your lid.

Now we’ve got to get that stove simmering to heat the bread and toppings and melt the cheese. Keep the lid on the pot to keep the heat in as you simmer. If you have an MSR Whisperlight, then you have to get the pressure in your tank very low. Release all the pressure in the tank and then give it 2 pumps. (It helps if the tank is half full). Restart the stove and control the flame output to a sputtering. It should be on the verge of dying and you will have to be focused on it to keep it that way. Too hot and you will burn the bread before melting the cheese. Once you have simmered the pizza for about 10 minutes, turn the stove off and let it sit covered for another 10 minutes. This extra time will melt the cheese nicely and then you can walk around and show off your creation. Watch others salivate! -by Gene Pires

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alpine Tacos

per person

1-1 1/2 big flour tortillas

1-2 packages hot sauce

cheese

1/2 cup dried refritos

1 oz dried seasoned ground beef

1/2 t cumin

1/2 t chili powder

at home: grate cheese

mix together beans, meat, seasonings in a ziplock bag

soak the meat/beans combo a while at camp, all day is fine

toss that mess into a cookpot, add water til it loks right, simmer til the mix is proper consistency, about 5 minutes or so.

Make into tacos, yum.

I don't know why you would want to extend your cooking time. Food is Fuel. Simple as that. If I go into the mountains for six days, I take six macaroni and cheeses. Easy. However most people camping with me don't like my menu. And I find I hike alone a lot??? cry.gif

I have a food dryer, make any kind of bean/ rice/ meat dish then dry it. Boil water add dry mix, cover pot with jacket for 1/2 hour, reheat and eat. Search the site, a few years ago there was a whole shit load of recipies.

Mt Mouse, mac and chese sucks. I know, cuz I've eaten plenty of it. Never again will I sink that low.

A good variation on the dreaded mac and cheese is FRIED cheesy pasta- it's a good way to get some extra calories while enjoying the dreaded mac and cheese. It's real easy to make- just take the mac you made in the pot, put it in a pan with some oil or butter, and fry the hell out of those suckers... (make sure to stir it around to keep the bottom noodles from burning). Then add some cheese and some tuna and enjoy. It's really yummy to eat something greasy and crunchy after a long day of movin'.

I stopped carrying a stove for climbs where its not needed. It seems as if smoked salmon, apples and cheese and a small loaf of bread or pita do the trick. I like buying those essential pre-made burritos for lunch. They will keep for 2 days in your pack. Obviously this won't work if your out for a long time or need a stove for melting. I just hate dealing with the thing if I don't have to. Warm food is all over this planet....its good to go without sometimes.

I have a food dryer, make any kind of bean/ rice/ meat dish then dry it. Boil water add dry mix, cover pot with jacket for 1/2 hour, reheat and eat.

Put your dried food in a ziploc bag. Add water in the morning before you depart for your climb and put the bag in your pot, cover it and put a rock on the lid. When you return from the climb the food will be rehydrated perfectly. Heat and eat.

... (make sure to stir it around to keep the bottom noodles from burning). Then add some cheese and some tuna and enjoy.

mmm. yum.

before I got hooked on the freeze-dried stuff, one of my favorite alpine dinners was "tuna, noodle, n' cheddar slop." grin.gifcheeburga_ron.gif

WOW - that package looks way hardcore. Maybe I should start eating that instead of the wussy Mountain House stuff! wink.gif

highly recommend Backpackers Pantry dinners. not only do they have a ziploc seal which makes cooking go faster .... but also, the ingredient list also has an item called "vitamin supplement". ooo.gif Idon't care too much about supplements when I'm in the city, (prolly should i guess), but I do like having them up in the mountains. thumbs_up.giftongue.gif taste pretty damn good, too, compared to some dried dinners.

Backpacker's Pantry has some tasty meals, but, there's always gritty white granules at the bottom of the pot.

If you want to spend the bucks (Sierra Trading Post has 'em cheap at times) and you don't mind managing & packing all the packaging back out, it can be a welcome culinary diversion.

Dehydrators are great. If you pre-cook pasta and dry, it cuts off the cooking time (just like Ramen). Pasta sauce dries well.

I tend to live on the Lipton rice and sauce packets with foil packed chicken.

And by the way, that Jamaican rice and chicken will not rehydrate properly at 17,000'

mashed potato flakes and a packet of gravy. add boiling water until reaches desired consistency. add pre-cooked chicken. YUM!

Don't forget to add some freeze-dried peas and corn.

BTW: The Garlic Mashed Potatoes they sell at Trader Joes is muy spicy and is very good. I tried the chicken and it worked out great. I think I'll try the turkey next.