TR: Oregon Gas

ScottP

It seemed an ordinary enough gas station. Being in Oregon, however, we weren’t allowed to pump our own gas.

"Do you need some gas?"

I told the guy to fill it and went to the attached store to get a soda. The store turned out to be a cheesy gift shop so we went back to the car. I immediately noticed that our friendly attendant hadn’t even put the nozzle in my car yet. He finished the windshield and said, “Thirteen dollars.” Incredulous, I handed him my plastic and made a bee-line for the cab as he headed into the store. I checked my gas gauge and sure enough, it registered an empty tank. The attendant came back and handed me the credit slip on a clipboard. I again asked him if he had put the gas in yet.

“Yeah.”

I showed him the gas gauge. With a blank face he went back and started pumping gas into my car. The gauge immediately began moving. He looked at it to be sure, said, “Yep.” and went back to filling my tank.

He brought me a new credit slip. Robert had previously asked him for an Oregon map. It was on the credit slip. I asked Robert if he had got it yet. He hadn’t. The attendant went back and got us the map, returning with a stoned idiot grin on his face.

Getting out of the car at the store across the street, I noticed the gas filler door was open. Upon closer inspection, I saw the gas cap was missing. Shaking my head as I went, I walked back across the street and found the gas cap sitting on the pump.

As I picked it up, the same attendant walked up and asked if I needed some gas.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a great example of the success and valor of the Oregon gas station setup.

How else would that kid ever get a job Scott? See, just quit thinking about yourself for a minute.

Bravo Oregonians! Defenders of incompetent stoners, I salute you...

If a place is really busy and they have a credit card reader on the pump, just start pumping it yourself. What the hell are they going to do, arrest you? Siphon the gas back out of your car? Let the kid finish it up and you're set. I've done it before, and then said that I just got back from college and forgot about the self serve thing. There's also a pump at the Arco in Troutdale where you used to be able to pump your own gas. I haven't done it in a couple of years, but I think it's still there. Boycotting Oregon gas sure teaches us a lesson rolleyes.gif.

You get the quickest service if you get out of the car and start to fill it up yourself. By the time I get the gas cap off I've got at least one attendant standing next to me, asking what I want. Then I let them start filling it for me.

The Oregon pumping situation always cracks me up. Talk about unintended consequences... Instead of having a large population exposed to low levels of Benzene and other carcinogens, they create an underclass who are continuously exposed, all in the name of job creation.

I also loved the arguments I used to have when I had to intercept the gas jockeys so they wouldn't pump gas into my car, after I specifically requested diesel. mad.gif

I also loved the arguments I used to have when I had to intercept the gas jockeys so they wouldn't pump gas into my car, after I specifically requested diesel. mad.gif

I've been pondering this scenario and the liability incurred when an $8,000 bill manifests for a blown turbo-diesel engine.

maybe on new cars but a few years ago I went up to squamish and forgot to get gas so we filled our old land cruiser diesel truck up at a full serve station and he filled er up with gas we saw this when we came out of the store started to freak out the boss came over the kid starts saying we didnt say anything the boss walks over oped the gas filler door pushes the kids face in to it and says see that sign it says diesel only, haha, it had a shop and we spent the rest of 3 hours waiting for 50 gallins of gas to pour out of a hole the size of a dime.

I think the nozzles that were differnt size were the leaded and unleaded nozzles

maybe on new cars but a few years ago I went up to squamish and forgot to get gas so we filled our old land cruiser diesel truck up at a full serve station and he filled er up with gas we saw this when we came out of the store started to freak out the boss came over the kid starts saying we didnt say anything the boss walks over oped the gas filler door pushes the kids face in to it and says see that sign it says diesel only, haha,

shocked.gifyellaf.gif

I was at a gas station on Mercer Island a few years back and there was this old VW bug there with a huuuuge cloud of nasty smoke pouring out the back. The entire gas station was clouded over with this crap. When I went in to pay I asked the guy at the desk what it was all about.

The response: "Stupid bitch put deisel in it." HAHAHAHAHHAHA

-josh