Getting tired of ....

Bill_Simpkins

"Leads? Yeah sure, I'll just check with the boys down at the crime lab. They've got four more detectives working on the case. They got us working in shifts."

Bill, is your last name Lebowski actually?

You seem to be handling the four break-ins with aplomb and grace... don't know what I'd do iffen I was in your shoes... maybe go postal.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Leads? Yeah sure, I'll just check with the boys down at the crime lab. They've got four more detectives working on the case. They got us working in shifts."

Maybe you should just post the thieves' address and any identifying information.

They busted the guy at the store using the card, but charged him for assault, as he threatened to assault the cashier after she confronted him about the card. They didn't even confiscate the card. He probably still has it laying around his house somewhere.

Bill, is your last name Lebowski actually?

You seem to be handling the four break-ins with aplomb and grace... don't know what I'd do iffen I was in your shoes... maybe go postal.

I may go Rambo. Got any explosive arrowheads?

You've got to be pretty dumb to use a stolen card at a gas station! Doesn't that just time stamp you on a security camera, next to a car with a license plate?

According to whom I talked they put a dollar's worth of gas in at a gas pump to see if the card has been reported stolen yet. If the charge is refused, they're already in their car, ready to take off.

Maybe that strategy has changed since the advent of the liberal use of security cameras. But for someone stealing credit cards at a TH, I don't think putting a bit of mud on the plates or using stolen/abandoned plates would be too difficult.

Additionally, the police know who broke into our car and cleared our accounts a month ago, but they are doing NOTHING about it becaue they don't have the time.

madgo_ron.gif

Anyone have any advice about that?

I seriously doubt they don't have the time. I see a lot of police driving around just patrolling, doing nothing, or setting up speed traps. I'll bet the big reason the "don't have the time" is because they don't like to be told what to do by civilians. I guess, to get them to investigate, you need to trick them into wanting to investigate for some reason. Tell the cops you're pretty sure that the thieves are anti-war commies or muslims or something.

As far as credit card fraud goes, the people that really get hurt are the merchants. The card victim usually doesn't have to pay the charges, the credit card company does not soak it up either. Guess who gets to pay? The merchants have an interest in not letting thieves use your card. If you're concerned, write "please check ID" on the signature part of the card. It's a little bit of a hassle, but it might keep your card from getting used too much if it gets stolen.

... having our cars being broken into. My truck was broken into yesterday at Heather Meadows. No valuables were in sight. They busted the back hatch off my canopee. I will most likely have to buy a new canopee.

Between me and my wife, we've had our cars broken into four times in the last year. Two of these were at trailheads. I'm getting sick of these weasly cowards.

I have never had my Honda Civic broken into.

What kind of vehicles do you own?

We got a lead, we know who did it, the cops know who did it. They said they dont have time to do any more with it. It may not even go to court.

Umm...years ago I was told by an agent that stealing from a federally insured institution is a federal offense. I know this is a naive question, but is your case worth a call to the feds? You know, if within federal jurisdiction, it might be a case of interest for providing new agents with experience...

Don't laugh! I recall a mere case of unpaid parking tickets that was actually handed over to the FBI on the grounds that the suspect may have crossed state lines to avoid prosecution! (This occured back when the municipal court of Seattle would issue an arrest warrant for unpaid parking tickets.) As it turned out, two rookie FBI agents investigated the situation and made the arrest of my roomate about five minutes after she arrived home from SeaTac after returning from a three-month out-of-state sabbatical.

Is there a federally insured bank getting ripped off here? If so, you might have nothing to lose by calling local agency office and explaining you want to report "a theft from a federally insured institution."

The merchants have an interest in not letting thieves use your card. If you're concerned, write "please check ID" on the signature part of the card. It's a little bit of a hassle, but it might keep your card from getting used too much if it gets stolen.

While many are doing this, please be aware that merchants are under NO obligation to accept cards with the "please check ID" lingo on the back. In fact, in accepting cards like this, the merchant has broken the Terms of Service of their contract with their credit card processor.

The reason is pretty simple - without a signature on the card, the thief can use a fake ID with any old signature on it. At least if your signature is on it, you make the thief work a bit to match it. Not much additional effort, but at least it's better than nothing.

If you present a "please check ID" card to a merchant, they are technically under instructions to:

1. Inform you that you have to sign the card.

2. Have you sign the card in their presence and provide a valid government picture ID with a signature

3. Compare signatures.

Yeah... I know - no one does this. But they might start in the near future. Be warned and don't put up too much fuss when they ask you to sign it.

-kurt