Random Question

Bill_Simpkins

When you are walking down a sidewalk or trail and you see someone walking toward you from far away, do you stare at them, look at your feet, stare at some random thing in the distance? Then when you get closer and closer and pass them what do you do. Does anyone else find these situations sometimes awkward?

I'm a borderline social freak.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

look people straight in the eye. it scares them

Sure does. What scares them even more is if you stop and stare at them until they pass. However, I haven't quite mustered the courage for this approach.

Another thing that's fun to do is instead of saying "hi" or "hello" is to say something a little different and see if they say the same thing back. Like "howdy", "greetings" or just a random word. If they repeat you, they are likely nervous.

look people straight in the eye. it scares them

its not scary but is a sign of aggression. my favorite is the "who is gonna look away first/my dick is bigger" game. Seriously, what the fuck are you staring at?

boxing_smiley.gif

not your dick that's for sure.

I wanna know why people walk down the left side of the hall. What's even more perplexing is when a person who weighs half of what I do and won't get out of the way when they are walking down the wrong side of the hall. Are they that oblivious to what they are doing?

A brief look in the eye and a nod should suffice, but I have slightly different rules for men and women. If I encounter a solo women on the trail I usually go out of my way to be as non-threatening as possible. Since I'm 6'5" and 240 pounds I get tired of sensing the fear from 30 feet away. As for men, I stand on the uphill side of the trail, look them straight in the eye and scowl.

Whatever you do, don't say "Howeryourdoing." As if you care. That drives me nuts and has led to ice axe disembowling although they can't prove a thing. If you have to say something, just say hi.

A brief look in the eye and a nod should suffice, but I have slightly different rules for men and women. If I encounter a solo women on the trail I usually go out of my way to be as non-threatening as possible. Since I'm 6'5" and 240 pounds I get tired of sensing the fear from 30 feet away. As for men, I stand on the uphill side of the trail, look them straight in the eye and scowl.

Whatever you do, don't say "Howeryourdoing." As if you care. That drives me nuts and has led to ice axe disembowling although they can't prove a thing. If you have to say something, just say hi.

When sharing a sidewalk with approaching women, I've had a few walk to the other side of the street to pass.

When you are walking down a sidewalk or trail and you see someone walking toward you from far away, do you stare at them, look at your feet, stare at some random thing in the distance? Then when you get closer and closer and pass them what do you do. Does anyone else find these situations sometimes awkward?

I'm a borderline social freak.

Yes, sometimes I find these situations are awkward too. The most awkward times is when you think you may know the person coming, but you don't want to stop and talk to them, and you wonder to yourself if you can pull off the "I don't see you" act. Or at work, when you pass a co-worker in the hallway (etc), do you say "hi" again, after you just talked to them like 15 minutes ago?? Maybe I'm a social freak too?? wazzup.gif

That's happened to me quite a bit when I used to be allowed out late at night, pre-kid. It's very stange when you're walking somewhere in a city late at night on a parallel course with a women when nobody else is around. You know you're freaking her out, as she keeps looking over her shoulder to see if you're getting closer (which I usually do since I walk fast). Then you see her pace and body language change as she starts to panic, and you can really smell the fear. When that happens, I actually cross the street to make them feel more comfortable. How's that for being pussy whipped by someone you don't know!