Close Calls

EWolfe

I was on the crux of an FA and the only move left to try was a dyno for what looked like a jug three feet above my reach. My last piece of pro was like fifteen feet below me and it was sketch at best... if I whipped that fucker would blow sure and I'd deck out on a big ledge fifty feet down. I had to go for it, there was no other choice other than push off to try to clear the ledge and hope the belay anchors and my partner held. Fuck it. I coiled like a pissed-off cobra and lunged for the jug.

My hand landed on the neck of a snaf.gif

and we both fell to our deaths...

...little bastard tried to have his way with me before we cratered.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost died last weekend on the rope swing at the lake.

No shit. My leg got caught in the rope and there I was swinging back into shore upside down headfirst into a rock.

Luckily I was able to pull out at the last minute smile.gif

You were screwin' upside-down on a ropeswing?!

You're one talented SOB!

Talent? I think he got lucky...

I was on the crux of an FA and the only move left to try was a dyno for what looked like a jug three feet above my reach. My last piece of pro was like fifteen feet below me and it was sketch at best... if I whipped that fucker would blow sure and I'd deck out on a big ledge fifty feet down. I had to go for it, there was no other choice other than push off to try to clear the ledge and hope the belay anchors and my partner held. Fuck it. I coiled like a pissed-off cobra and lunged for the jug.

My hand landed on the neck of a snaf.gif

and we both fell to our deaths...

...little bastard tried to have his way with me before we cratered.

Is that right before you realized you'd been on an 8-day peyote trip and you'd never actually been climbing before?

i don't know if it's just me but i tend to have my memorable closest calls on non/semi-technical ground: rapidly sliding toward a drop off on steep very hard snow with ice still strapped on the pack, and unable to stop when falling down a steep wooded slope, no laughing please hahaha.gif). So, am I the only one?

i don't know if it's just me but i tend to have my memorable closest calls on non/semi-technical ground: rapidly sliding toward a drop off on steep very hard snow with ice still strapped on the pack, and unable to stop when falling down a steep wooded slope, no laughing please hahaha.gif). So, am I the only one?

maybe you shouldn't strap ice onto your pack in the first place...its kinda slippery and gets everything wet! yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifcantfocus.gif

Here's another one. I must have used up at least three of my nine lives. meow.

Working on a fish tender in alaska that had a huge fish hold (about 130 tons as I recall when we plugged it).

The boat was a circulation-tank style, which pumped refrigerated saltwater to keep the fish cold. The pipes were 8" and held down by massive clamp/bolt systems due to the abuse they took at sea.

We had just unloaded the last bucket of fish on a delivery and was climbing out of the hold with slimy gloves on. As I grasped the lip of the fish hold, my gloves slipped and I plummeted downward.

I remember glancing over my shoulder as I slipped, and realized my point of impact was one of the circulation clamps, directly on my lower back. With every ounce of energy I had I twisted to my side, and somehow understood that if I was to survive without major injury I had to relax on impact. Which I did, and it knocked me out for a moment when my head hit the floor of the hold.

When I came to, I was slumped sideways over the tie-down, and it had hit me just above my hip and just below my ribs.

I sustained bruising to the area that lasted for weeks, but other than that was fine.

pitty.gif

I was working carpentry a month ago.

My foreman wanted to smoke...not cigs.

We go to the truck and smoke.

I come out and he tells me to cut a 2x6 at a 4 3/8 inch with a 45 degree angle on the chop saw, a big radial saw with a 13 inch blade that you drop down.

My fingers were just inches away from the blade and i pulled down on the wood.

Being high, I wasn't thinking right. The blade hit the shorty wood and ripped it out from under the saw and it flew about 20 feet. My finger got pulled right to the blade and past, missing my finger by less than a 1/4 of an inch. I should have lost my finger.

It scared the shit out of me so bad i never smoked at work again.