summer job?

layton

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love how off track this has become. D.C.=Doctor of Chiropractic. It's all about the standard of care under the law...basically if you can be sued as a doctor, you're a doctor.

I wonder why Insurance companies aren't the ones who confer the medical degree? According to your statement, they are the ones with the power. Or maybe it's the lawyer or the judge? I dunno. But it seems to me that if other MD/Professors aren't willing to call a chiropractor a doctor, then neither am I.

That said, I went to a chiropractor for two years to help my hip that had bothered me for almost six years. It worked, I've never been seriously bothered by it again, and that was eight years ago....

And good luck to the folks looking for summer internships. If you want my chiropractor's name and you feel like living in Idaho for a summer, PM me.

under the law, chiropractors have been concidered doctors legally since the mid 1800s. end of discussion.

as for spinal misalignment being the root cause of all (or ANY) disease, this is a dated concept that bears little to no merit, and if your chiropractor believes this...run away as fast as you can. that would be like your MD pulling out his crainal protractor device to measure your bodily humors.

someone should tell MDs that drugs and surgery aren't the cure to all disease.

other doctors besides MD's are Naturopaths.

Basically if you're not in the ER dying, it is my opinion that you should see someone who is willing to try the least invasive method to healing possible. health care should focus on prevention and address the problem, not the symptoms. sometimes drugs and surgery are like putting duct tape over the check engine light.

other doctors besides MD's are Naturopaths.

I'm sure osteopaths, JDs, and PhDs would be shocked to learn this "fact".

i listed naturpaths b/c i thought some folks may not have know that. so are dermatologits, surgeons, optometrists, blah blah blah. But, PhD's aren't actually "doctors" they don't have any more responsibilities that other citizens. i think laywers,doctors, and clergy are the 3 professions as far as the law is concerned that are held to a standard. maybe politicians and military too. not sure. it's defined somewhere.

Just try to finagle an internship type deal where you only ask for work like two days per week (or more if the weather is shitty). If you're working in your field you'll probably make a lot more money than a random job.

unforetunately, as far as i'm told, i need one more quarter of school (specifically two more physical therapy classes) before I can work as a CA (chiropractic assistant) legally.

PhD's aren't actually "doctors" they don't have any more responsibilities that other citizens. i think laywers,doctors, and clergy are the 3 professions as far as the law is concerned that are held to a standard. maybe politicians and military too. not sure. it's defined somewhere.

From www.dictionary.com:

PhD

abbr. Latin

Philosophiae Doctor (Doctor of Philosophy).

Being a "doctor" has nothing to do with a legal/moral responsibility to society, it has to do with having completed a "doctoral" academic program.

Other paramedical professionals (paramedics, EMTs, nurses, etc) are held to a standard and have a legal and ethical duty to deliver care. If you are working as an EMT (as in, you are on the clock at that moment) and you refuse to treat someone, you are criminally liable for neglect, unless you can come up with a compelling reason (self preservation) for refusing to treat the patient. I'd guess that police officers and firefighters also have a legal "duty to act" while they are on the clock. In fact, all citizens have a legal responsibility to act to prevent/report crimes.

I remember back in the 1980s, it was illegal for a motorist on the Alaskan Hwy in winter to not stop for cars parked on the side of the road. The idea was that traffic was so scarce, if someone broke down, they could quickly freeze to death if no one helped them out.

Good luck with the job search Mike. Sorry the internship deal didn't work out. Maybe you could get some temp work in a chiro office? Just filing and shit? Those things can be a great way to get an "in" in a field you are interested in.

...i think laywers,doctors, and clergy are the 3 professions as far as the law is concerned that are held to a standard.

Licensed professional engineers - or any state licensed profession for that matter.

maybe politicians and military too. not sure.

You're joking... right?

i have a question...why does any of this matter and why are we wasting or coffee breaks with this? does anyone have a particular point, or are we just arbitrarily defining stuff. awesome exercise in semantics. feel free to flame ths shit out of me cuz i'm done!

Basically if you're not in the ER dying, it is my opinion that you should see someone who is willing to try the least invasive method to healing possible. health care should focus on prevention and address the problem, not the symptoms. sometimes drugs and surgery are like putting duct tape over the check engine light.

I just want to say that this really makes sense to me. What you're doing sounds cool, Mike.

Now can you recommend a phrenologist in the Portland area? I think my humors are out of whack.

under the law, chiropractors have been concidered doctors legally since the mid 1800s. end of discussion.

Chiropractors were doctors before there was chiropracty? Chiropractic care is a practice of the 20th century. It was desicovered in the 1890's.

whoops. i was wrong on my dates. thanks for taking the time to point that out. the whole origins early philosophy of chiropractic is pretty funny and a bit nuts. it's funny to see what the medical profession was doing at that time too! leeches and astrology n' all sorts of cooky stuff. unfortunately the stigma still is around for us chiroquacktors. oh well, it makes for entertaining discussions, but i do get a little sick of the same old misconceptions and the like. i knew that before i started.

luckily my college is WAY scientific and evidence-based, it's pretty much med school course for course. there are a couple schools that aren't (logan college, and life west specifically). palmer college is on the fence. i haven't been to those schools, so i could be doing the same thing that i don't like...using bias on things i don't know about.

anyone know how i can get hooked up painting houses for work? that sounds like a good mindless job.

Being a "doctor" has nothing to do with a legal/moral responsibility to society, it has to do with having completed a "doctoral" academic program.

i think were talking about two different things here, but anyway ... a law degree - "JD" stands for Juris Doctor which is a Doctor of Juriprudence which is a Doctor of Laws, etc. but i wouldn't use the title "doctor". people would be highly confused by it.

mike, shouldn't be too difficult to find a job painting somewhere. have you tried talking to locals in any of those towns???